Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Proper (easiest) way to replace fan belt on case 450b crawler

woodstock1 ยท 2011-07-15 15:29

I am dreading this belt change....did one similar about a month ago on a 555 ford backhoe by removing the hyd. pump, had some room to play on the hoses so I could slide the pump back far enough to get the belt thru....but... I do not see the same option on the Case...not to mention the pump looks like its been on there since Moby **** was a minnow (pronounced "minner" where I come from) and I don't want to disturb a sleeping giant by prying on and moving the pump....surely no one would engineer something where you have to dis-assemble the machine for a routine belt change. And surely someone has found a better (easier) way to do this...

Replies4
  1. #1thebaz2011-07-16 03:00

    I have a 455C which has a different motor but probably has a similar belt replacement process. The 455C has the serpentine belt but the only way to replace it is to undo the bolts holding the pump coupling to the crank pulley and maneuver the belt through the gap. The 450's V belt may be more difficult and require the pump to be moved away from the pulley as well. I know some guys that used to fit a second belt over the crank pulley so that it just sat there until you had to replace the belt, and then they would cut the old belt off and fit the new one that was already in place. Hope that helps.

  2. #2Garrie Denny2011-07-21 06:42

    This may not be the best way but possibly the easiest. you could buy a segmented v-belt and remove links not required, a neighbour has just fitted one to hid tractor and swears about them. Garrie.

  3. #3woodstock12011-07-21 13:51

    It actually has a segmented belt on it now..I cant get the hyd. pump to move......so it may stay that way....was just wanting to change it while I had it down.

  4. #4Iron@Dirt2011-07-21 20:42

    I have a 350B, dont know how similar it is but there is a sleeve you can slide forward, dont quite remember how I did it. Does yours have a disconect on the hydraulic pump for cold start?