Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to tear up a TLB

davidd ยท 2009-06-24 21:50

As a novice operator of my new to me backhoe, I was wondering the quickest way to tear the machine up. NOT that I want to but there is lots of experience on this board. I learned years ago to learn from the mistakes of others is a lot cheaper than getting the lesson first hand. Maybe a few of the dumb things that causes thing to snap and pop. David d.

Replies15
  1. #1willie592009-06-24 21:56

    That's pretty smart davidd, I hope ya get some info. Will Rogers said one time "some learn by experience...some learn by watching others pee on the electric fence". I don't know if it's the quickest way, but one way to tear it up is to foresake the grease gun.

  2. #2amunderdog2009-06-24 22:09

    > Swinging the boom with it fully extended. If you do not feather the stop it can snap the end off a swing ram. > Slamming the loader into piles. You should ez into them. > Using the boom for a hammer. Some times it is necessary but should be avoided if possible.

  3. #3lars2009-06-25 16:23

    X2 on slamming the loader into piles. I don't know how many times I watched someone slam a loader or skid steer into a pile and spin the wheels trying to get a full bucket. I always hit a pile slower and curl the bucket as you hit some resistance, almost pulling you into the pile.

  4. #4dogboneshd2009-06-25 16:41

    This should be both interesting and informative I will be staying tuned. Here's my contribution as with any machine.....always check your fluids before you start.....do not bang gears.... drive it like you own it. good luck

  5. #5BritOperator2009-06-25 17:10

    Take pride in everything that you do. Get used to what the machine can and can't do. Be smooth and consistant. Don't take advice from people who don't operate themselves. Above all, if your just starting out, take your time. Hope these help.

  6. #6RocksnRoses2009-06-25 18:17

    As silly as it may seem, a mate of mine, who has an engineering business, hired/loaned his late model Case backhoe to one of his employees, so that the employee could do some trenching around his new house. Thinking he was doing the right thing, he said to my mate, "I filled it up with diesel, and I filled both tanks", it only has one tank, but the hydraulic oil was rather thin. So I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you know which is the diesel tank and which is the hydraulic tank and show anyone else that may be using your machine. Rn'R.

  7. #7JS580SL2009-06-25 18:45

    Use lower gears traveling up hills. Avoid running over rocks whenever possible. Always grease and check fluids. When on hot top, just barely touch it enough to scrape, saves your cuttin edge. If its got a 4n'1, careful how you tug on things you can bow the bucket. Watch your stabilizer pistons not to drop anything on them. Careful of any pistons in harms way. Watch for hoses getting caught. Change teeth before they wear through, save the shanks. clean airfilter often. Change fluids as needed. Keep cab and windows clean. If you have case controls keep wd-40 on hand or grease, keep your swing pedals greased to, not a huge difference but it helps. Just a few other things I could think of also. Im a backhoe operator on a gas main and utility crew.

  8. #8davidd2009-06-25 21:53

    Hey guys, lot of good info so far. I have a question as how to tear up the extenda hoe. It seems to be a rather strong piece of iron, But how do I tear it up. David d.

  9. #9Deere John2009-06-25 22:50

    One of the best ways to round off a perfectly good backhoe is to use it to clear land. Better yet, use it to clear and build roads where there are plenty of trees. Best of all, take it logging after you've got the road built. I've seen it done - kind of a shame really .....

  10. #10gggraham2009-06-26 00:43

    Speaking from a mechanics point of view...don't slam the bucket into the ground with the extendahoe out. Don't dig with the extendahoe out, don't be lazy and move way forward. Stay close to the hole/trench don't try digging starting with extendahoe out and work towards you to save moving the whole machine forward. Digging as mentioned or slamming the extendahoe will crack the tube on the cylinder or loosen the 90 degree fitting on the base end of cyl. Also cause excessive wear on the slider pad...meaning you have to reshim it. That and everything else everyone else has said so far. Maintain your machine with 250, 500, 750 and 1000 hour services. Trust me a $500 in parts for a service at 1000 hours goes a long ways to keeping your machine in top notch shape. So many people disregard setting engine valves at 1000 hours, changing transmission fluid, checking bucket bushings, king pins. Grease the bottom king pins...the top grease fitting is easy to see the bottom pin get neglected badly on 90% of machines. Anthing else anyone want to add???? :my2c

  11. #11stock2009-06-26 04:02

    My advice well to keep it simple,walk around it with an eagle eye every morning,and evening, amazing what you will see, treat it like you are paying for it, watch every operator you can see if you can pick up any of his "tricks" and watch out for the ones you know are not right,after years of civil's I still take the time to watch a piece of plant at work only now I carry a camera with me everywhere I go never know what you will see when you get there,check out

  12. #12Phil2009-06-27 06:02

    Jumping into a cold machine that's just been started and flogging it, then shutting it off immediately after it's been working hard (coffee truck). Never looking on the ground underneath a machine, after it's been resting. I've spotted many a coolant leak this way. Sometimes a backhoe will have to lift something extremely heavy with the front bucket, then it gets carried swinging to the left or right as the machine travels over rolling ground. I bought a Ford 550 backhoe once with a bent loader frame(never noticed it). The bucket was an honest 2" higher on one side, while resting on the ground. In desperation we lifted the back end of a 580 backhoe off the ground with the corner of front bucket. I was absolutely amazed that the Ford could do this. We swung the Ford's hoe around in the opposite direction after stretching it out, and dropped the 580 2 feet, until it almost touched the ground. We had to start the 580 and push the front bucket down(to make it heavier), we also had to block the front wheels up on the Ford to keep them from flattening. After the 4th try the Ford loader frame bent back to normal. It was a sight to see, my son bobbing up and down in the seat of that 580.Phil

  13. #13amunderdog2009-06-27 08:07

    You must be refering to beating the cab and other things off. Because they really do all those jobs and more very well. Rops + being observant and carefull helps alot with body damage. Guess thats why a full cab has never interested me. Rarely have i seen the perfect working area. Wonder why i have never seen a Backhoe with a forestry package? I have seen bunches of front loaders rigged up for the woods. Maybe thats where the track loader with the backhoe attachment comes in?

  14. #14Blademandan2020-05-30 07:07

    No slamming anything. No spinning tires. Simple, but covers many things

  15. #15kith2020-05-30 08:19

    Grease and oil are your friends!