Just got a massey ferguson 50 backhoe with out the hoe but did come with some kind cable looking compactor. it has no 3 point or pto. The tractor is yellow and has hook ups off the frame in the back, but no hooks above like the ground pounder. Any help on any info on 1976 50 A Model 300? I am looking for a hoe if any body knows where ones at. Has what looks like a pto engage under the seat but no shaft? lever on the side by your left knee if u are sitting on the tractor that has a big spring hooked to it (park brake or some kind of steer wheel tilt) Plumbed out the back
Any pictures?? |Some of those were sold with a weight or compressor but if there is no pto then that rules out the latter.Maybe take a few piccs and post them for us.
Here's a pic I have. I believe it's a later model as it doesn't have that big swing motor. Phil
That one is of 80's vintage and is either a "d" or"h" series launched in 1982 I think , could be wrong though.Most of that cab type was a home for the dreaded tin worm .
I've got a 73 model 50A I'd sell for parts if you'd be interested. Got a good perkins diesel that has a pretty fresh overhaul on it.
long truck but what kind of money? I will post some pic
PM sent
is that a 50 d
I always thought the 'B' modal had the big swing motor. I have a 50HX series 2 which is from around 1995. It's a side shift hoe with swing cylinders. Not long after that they went to the 760 (I think) and became Fermec and then Terex. Even in 1995 the hoe appears to attach to the mainframe with just 4 pins so I imagine one should be easy enough to fit if you can fine one. Keen to see your pics Iron Kid. Don't see many MFs on this site. Chris Brisbane Australia.
the 50d usually had the slew motor on top to
Still looking for parts
She is A 50HX elite circa 1985/6 cab changed in '87 , never seen a non-side shift HX before.Now she could have been resprayed but it also has slew rams so I go with the hx theory.
She is A 50HX elite circa 1985/6 cab changed in '87 , never seen a non-side shift HX before.Now she could have been resprayed but it also has slew rams so I go with the hx theory.[/QUOTE] well done stock i did think it was older myself :notworthy:drinkup
On my 50HX the lever on your left is the (rear) diff lock. You pull it towards the seat to engage. Mine doesn't work (I think somebody welded it up so it's always in the unlocked condition). Chris.
Sized cable or linkage is all
stock seems to me you been around a lot on the old masseys i used to do a lot on an 88 50hx it also had the 5 speed on it. But i think the 60hx was a very good machine there wasnt a lot of them about here at the time cos 93 the first 860 was out and id been on a 91 60hx. It was early nineties when i was on her do you no when the 60hx came out?
30 b does the 30 b use the same swing motor as any other machine and does any one know where i can find one
ktmlane Welcome to the forum, we almost lost you . I've heard that swing motor parts can be very expensive. I was able recently to get the ** dealer to bring up the parts diagram and part#'s, for a small ** hoe attachment I have. I saw a ** hoe once that had the swing converted, using 2 hydraulic cylinders. I think used parts are out there, just not common. Good luck. Phil
** backhoe thanks alot phil i have a new holland working on it but it seems like the only likley place is the uk i hope the freight wont scare me . thanks alot for getting me that info.:usa
I got a ** 50B with the large slew motor on top. It slews to whichever side the machine is leaning once you release the control lever and lacks power when slewing. It is very anoying when you are trying to dig as you have to constantly be controling the slew. Any suggestions on what the problem is?
In local terms it is rat*** the slew pot that is..........get either one from a series two 50b or one off a 50d...................
Thanks Stock, Since your reply I have been looking them up on te net and they look the same style slew motor. I presume it would be a "bolt off bolt on" job or do you think I will need to do some mods to fit one? Are the ones off the series 2 and MF50D a better/more reliable slew motor?
I am led to believe that they the same but with a different vane make up.They are extremely heavy and you need to keep the arm up so as it may be moved from side to side so as to get it on to the master spline. Sad thing really is that here most farmers here replaced the back hoes with weights for feeding duties and the hoes complete are making less than 1000 euros......... look at this Massey digger
That Massey Digger is certainly a 50HX - didn't know that still had the big slew motor on them that late. However, my parts and service manuals do show that rotary motor as being on the HX. Mine is actually a 50HX Series 'S' and now I've researched the numbers, I think it's more like 1990 (not 1995 as I was led to believe when I bought it). By the way, I managed to fix the diff lock. It was just the bottom pivot of the lever was rusted solid. I had to drill the pin out and make a new one. Cable and mechanicals are fine and the whole thing works perfectly now. Chris Brisbane Australia.
Thanks Stock, You have been a great help and has opened up a lot more options that I didn't have before. Dam shame the shipping costs are so costly as there is are certainly a lot more options in europe and the US. Parts in Oz are almost extinct or cost an arm and a leg.
Al, I have to agree on the cost and availability of parts. Here in Brisbane, the official ** dealer is Chesterfields but they are ridiculously expensive. But here are a couple of alternatives… Tractor Imports (Brisbane) have great prices for anything that is common with ** agricultural tractors (eg engine parts but not hydraulic parts). Most of their aftermarket bits are made in Turkey but seem good quality. For example, an exhaust manifold for Perkins A4.248 is only $32. http://tractorimports.com.au Griffith Traders in Wauchope NSW have a better range but a bit more expensive. http://www.griffithstraders.com.au/index.htm Failing that, try Forge Services in the UK. They appear to have almost anything for these machines but postage is a bit of a killer (but remind them it's for overseas so you don't pay VAT of 17%). http://www.forge-services.co.uk/ You should be able to get the parts to rebuild that slew motor for a reasonable price. If you can get the OEM part numbers just do a google search on them or search one of the above sites. Chris Brisbane Australia.
Thanks Chris, I have bought some seals through Griffith Traders recently and they were very helpful. They can supply a seal kit for the slew motor but it's a lot of money if the seals aren't the problem. I will give the others a go. Thanks again Al
G'day Guy's, Found this post on the net looking for info on the MF50B and I'm glad I found this forum as it looks tops. Anyway for the last couple of weeks I've been looking at a MF373 tractor with a frontend loader and the guy selling said he had a MF50B also for sale. He did say the slew was broken but I went and had a look yesterday anyway. Every looks purfect on it and I did try the hoe and everything worked fine. The seller did say when it was playing up he noticed after he parked the machine up it was low on oil so he topped up the oil and hadn't used it since. Could the low oil of caused the slew motor to act funny then when the oil tank was full everything was right ? For the price I can get this MF50B for (under 6K) I reckon even if the slew motor is stuffed it won't be a hard job to fix the hoe permanently in the centre and modify it for 2 hyd rams. It will be only for farm use so hopefully in the next 2 weeks i'll have this baby home. Regards Bryan
Brian just a few questions, Is there a Mushroom air breather on it ? Does he have a long or short engine oil dipstick? Is it clutch or torque? two or four lever backhoe controls?
The slew motors are problematic; air in the system would cause problems but I bet the slew motor is in need. It will be worse once it gets hot or under a heavy load.
G'day Stock, I can answer some of your questions by mushroom air breather you mean one of those clear plastic round ones then yes, I didn't get to look at the dipstick, I reckon it's a torque drive as there are two pedals with forward and backward arrows and it's a 2 lever control. Off memory the left is slew and main boom the right one is lower arm and bucket, then one lever each side for the vertical stabilizing legs. I did some research last night on the slew motors but only found seal kits, it would be good to get a break down schematic as I have my own off grid machineshop and can easily make new parts if needed. I still have go back down the coast and have a better look hopefully this weekend and see after doing some work with the hoe and see how it performs. If it does come down to the crunch and I can't fix the slew motor I'll have a good look on the possibility of changing it to a 2 hyd slew setup. Regards Bryan
I don't think the low oil would be the problem unless it was so that the hyd pump was cavitating and pushing air into the system. Not a bad price for a working hoe in oz. I recently paid 11.5k for my MF50B which I thought was a bargin even with the problems I mentioned previously with the slew motor. Although frustrating, I have got used to working with the problem. Done heaps of work with it around the farm with it and I reckon it's paid for itself already. I have looked at changing mine to a couple of rams but think it would be easier to change it out as Stock suggested above. I've been looking around for one so I can recondition it if required then swap them over but they seem almost extinct here in oz. I'm sure I'll find one, one day. I also would be interested in your answers to Stocks questions.
G'day Guy's, Well I asked my mate who owns a cnc machinshop today and he has overhauled a heap of JCB slew motors and said he can do mine no problems. Tomorrow I'm going down the coast to give the MF50B a good run so I can check it out fully. I did hear today off the owner it came from a minesite and was kept in top nic and hardly ever used. One thing I did notice on the first look all the hyd hoses look either new or in real good nic. I'll take a few pic's tomorrow and try and upload them here and get a guage on what you guys think. Regards Bryan
nic That's a good word I had to look it up but. Not much info on it .I am thinking my backhoe is in good nic to ,I just want to make sure I don't call it something embarrassing.(Trying to stay on topic)
G'day Guy's, Well just got home from down the coast and I found the problem with the backhoe. Where the slew motor attach's to the frame the bodgy weld is broken. Took the ol' girl for a run and she runs sweet as with no signs at all of any smoke from the motor. The only gauges that worked were the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge which sat on 45 psi. Stock, the oil dipstick is the long one too. Anyway while I was in the yard I saw an old rock screen setup and I couldn't resist asking the price of it. I near fell out of the car when he said $1,500 delivered to your farm. There is the main screen conveyor setup and also another conveyor to stock pile the rocks that go thru the screen. All I need now is to make the rock crusher and I'll be able to make all my own road base so I can get this road done from the front to the back of the farm. Cheers Bryan
G'day guys, As my irc gallery and my website software is playing up I did a pic dump in the electro-tech forum of which I'm a global moderator. Anyway here is the link to some of the pic's I took of the MF50B today http://www.electro-tech-online.com/members-lounge/111626-new-toys-way.html#post913034 Cheers Bryan
Bryan, It appears that you have a 50B fitted with a Perkins 4-236 engine,the pump drives on all massey 50 series up to the hxt series gave trouble with the shaft splines wearing so it will need to be investigated, check the manufacturers date on the front of the pump and if it is similar to the machine manufacture then it is a problem that needs to be addressed.If you do have to change the pump be sure you use the 50HX cast iron one. Now it also looks to me that the slew motor was off or changed,note the different colour, If I am right then and the pot was changed they may not have put in down in the correct position resulting in the slew working one way properly and restricted the other. This photo would suggest this issue,but the internal splines on this king post also wear and give a lot of lateral play on the backhoe. Where this weld is broken is a hardened steel insert in a cast steel lump,the only successes I had in welding them was to clean them well,root weld with a 29.9 rod capped off with a good shot of 7018 but ultimately the king post will need to be changed depending on the use/ abuse it gets. Just to note the series 2 50B back hoe assembly will fit but not the 50d.the mountings are different but all other components rams slew pot etc are the same. Just watch the dropshaft for the steering as these wore along with the bushes resulting in intermittent power assisted steering, on this point the components are all the same as the 1 series tractor,but the orbital steering unit from the 590 series tractor can be fitted,but requires mechanical steering components apart from the ram being removed to make it fully hydrostatic. Finally if there is too much wear on the bottom boom pin at the king post they break the top off the backhoe lifting ram just a note............ Stock
Hey Bryan, Nice score! The o'l 50B's a perler for under 6k and you'd want to break his legs so it didn't get away on ya. That vibrating screen looks pretty awesome too. Ya done alright there! Which state in Oz are you in?
G'day Guy's, Stock thank you very much for the explanation, what I thought was going going to be a quick fix was way out. Anyway I am a mechanical fitter and I do repair industrial gearbox's for a living. My mate who owns a cnc machineshop did say he has overhauled several slew motors in the past so when I get the ol' girl home I'll clean up the broken weld, grind out the crap and weld it using 309 SS dissimilar welding rods. Then I'll see in what condition the slew motor is and arrange to take the hoe off the the back and take the whole base unit and slew motor down to my mate for a complete overhaul. My ol' fiat 450 tractor is a top ol' gal and my 2 tonne lifting jib will come in handy for taking the hoe off. When the overhaul does happen I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures and I'll do a page on my website on the way I do it. Al I live up in the Adelaide Hills close to Kanmantoo on a 85 acre farm off the grid. Cheers Bryan
hi, hope its still possible to join this thread.......ive bought a massey 50HX ? theoretically - got no papers or useful registration. i need to rebuild the top end of the engine, but dunno which ive got! the plate in the cab says model: 50H,ms no.2522, serial no. B3126. engine no. is LF3118OU152568P. its 4wd, sideshift backhoe,diff lock lever on the left,2 levers at the back for the legs and 2 for the backhoe,2 electrically operated clutches - 1 on the gear lever,the other is on the forward/neutral/reverse lever, the loader arms say 50HX but no idea if theyre original - can anybody figure out which model it is? please? cheers, jonny.
Johnny do you know the year of manufacture? post a picture or two would help.......
hi stock, thanks for getting back to me. nope, no idea of year or anything other than the numbers i put up. yes, pics are a good idea, but i have to get my girlfriend to load them for me - im rubbish at computers unfortunately! i'll try and do it in a couple of days - the diggers in a yard in town. btw, i'll have to order an engine rebuild kit online, do you have any idea which uk company has good spares? there are some really cheap kits for the 4.236, but they may be poor quality chinese crap for all i know....
Hi Johhyr48. I am also in the same boat. Did you end up sorting it out?