Hey guys one more questions I have been moving dirt and getting things done but wanted to use the float feature to gradually fill some divots. The machine is a D4H with a PAT the blade control is on the right but I have yet to figure out how to use float, is there a certain way I push the control handle to get it into float? The bobcat I used was pretty simple to get the booms to float but i am drawing a blank and google did not help. Thanks everyone!
Push the control handle all the way forward until it detains itself in that position. If that don't work it may be out of adjustment.
Just push the blade control all the forward until it goes into a detent. I never hardly use float though. Just drop the blade on the ground with the dozer sitting on flat ground and back up. If you need to rob some material from a high spot add a little down pressure just the opposite for the low spots.
To float as in previous posts.....push T handle all the way forward......on my D4H float seems to work best for smoothing while going in reverse
I fail to understand this float thing . It IS WORTHLESS . If you need to fill divots , you need to run that blade .
Not it all types of material, but most of the time ya I agree. Its mostly for greener operator I think.
if the detent isn't working, pull the boot up and try cleaning off the pad and coil with a little brake cleaner or just shop air and maybe some fine grit sandpaper if needed. debris loves to get between them and not allow it to hold. if you physically hold the lever forward and the blade doesn't float then I would check if the contact pad is out of adjustment.
I totally forgot to say thank you for everyones tips. Once I read where it should be i was able to find it without issue just pushed foward and then it popped into the notch and worked perfect. Have a happy and safe holidays everyone!
I started when Cats and Allis dozer with cables were still common, got called 'Backdrag' a lot as I did better dragging the blade than pushing with it for leveling. Many older hands that were real cat skinners did very well floating a cable lift 8 blade as to cutting grade, I just never mastered that. Besides that, my Allis 7G has a float for the loader, is a detent at full forward on the control, works very well with the MP bucket on it.
About the only real use for the float feature I've found is for plowing snow over an icy or frozen base.
Yair . . . Back to that slot dozing thing. In some conditions when the blade is loaded and you're drifting to the fill you can go into "float" and hear and feel the load come off the tractor. . . it must save a bit of fuel. Cheers.