I have a propane heater that circulates water/anti-freeze as it heats it and want to plumb the engine on a 2001 D5M. I looked but can't find a plug on the engine block. Also would like to plumb the other end to the head somehow. Could I use the cab heater hoses? Thanks
I don't know that engine, but in general, sometimes there's an extra plug on the water pump. You could use the cab heater hoses but it wouldn't be ideal because the warmed returning to heater water would have to circulate through the hoses and heater core and would lose heat. If this is a typical "circulating" heater that relies on convection, no pump, don't use the heater hoses, keep looking for the lowest plugs you can find and mount the heater lower than those plugs to get good convection "circulation".
Yes it is a convection heater. Good idea to look on the pump, I just bought this dozer and everything is new to me. I know the G series dozers has the plug on the back of the engine block, left side when sitting on the machine. If someone doesn't know then I'll start taking off shields to get a better look all around that engine. Thanks Delmer.
I took off what shields I had to in order to check where to plumb in the heater, all I could find is an insert block heater and a frost plug, In the picture of the water pump and thermostat it looks like each has a plug to be taken out with a hex wrench, could I plumb the heater to these? A pic of the 2001 D5M, I put sweeps and made window screens, have yet to make the rear side screens. No wonder those screens are pricey, it's a lot of work to fabricate. Undercarriage will get me through the winter then a lot more work to replace it in the spring.
Can't help you right off the top of my head, but let me take a look at how a factory system would be connected and I'll get back to you.
Thanks Nige! I phoned the nearest Cat service and they said there is no block drain on that new of a machine but I know for sure on the D4,5G there is because I tapped into the block on the left side, back of the block. There is a bolt head on the block above the starter but somehow I doubt it is a block drain.
Do me a favour. Give me at least the (3 digit/letter) Serial Number prefix of your machine. There are 9 options to choose from, I want to get the right one.
The serial# is 3CR01835
I have noticed another hex plug at the rear side of the block below the exhaust manifold, might have to take the turbo hose off to access it. Could this be the water plug?
That sure looks like the other water plugs, and it would seem to be the water passage. There's another one under the turbo that's where the block heater goes, if you don't have a block heater that would be the best place for the cool return (IMO) with the hot going to the back plug (that's assuming you have enough height to mount the heater lower enough to get the lines sloped up to the engine so the air goes into the engine). If the heater needs to be on the same level as the engine, then you want the hot to go into a higher point on the engine.
This D5 has the block heater, tomorrow I'll drain the anti-freeze and try that back plug, just was worried there might be something behind it that is hard to get together if it's not a water plug. I'm sure it has to be a water plug. Hot water will rise, the cool water will circulate back to the heater. I have enough hose to put the heater on the ground in front of the track but looks like I'll have to make a door on the lower shield so as to have a continuous slope upward to the engine.
If it's not mounted solid you don't need a continuous slope, just burp the lines when you turn it on. Now if you're trying to get two way flow in one hose you'll need to be careful about the slope, but you are using two hoses?
Yes there are 2 hoses. In the picture of the heater the red hose is the top one, black is bottom. They are connected together in the picture, pioneer fittings. Fire up the propane burner, slide it in to the pot to heat the coil. The old John Deere tractor never had water pumps, water circulated with thermo syfun, same as this heater, was told to make sure the lines are full of anti-freeze.
I got it done today. That plug at the back of the block above the starter is for the anti-freeze. Hard to get out, lucky I had a big Allen wrench, cut the curve off it and put a 9/16 socket and long bar on it. That plug was easy to find another pipe to fit for the hose to clamp on but the plug on the thermostat housing is odd but I was lucky to find something to fit to attach the hose. Thanks for all the help.