Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HP / motor for single axel dumptruck that will also pull equipment

pondo ยท 2014-06-10 08:42

Hi Guys Looking at getting a single axel dump truck with air brakes. It would haul material and also pull float for equipment ie bobcat and mini ex. A lot of trucks i see have around 220hp. I have a buddy with an older international with approx 200hp (dt466?) I know dump trucks are not race cars, but I do need hwy speed ie 100km. Kindof leads to next question, could a single axel with air brakes on both truck and trailer reasonably haul 6ton and pull combined trailer and load of 6ton? If so what motor/hp? Is horse power really the right measurement in heavy trucks, they don't seem to talk/list torque? Thxs

Replies11
  1. #1lumberjack2014-06-10 09:16

    Shouldn't have any trouble hauling 6t and towing 6t with nearly any single axle dump truck. As far as horse power goes, the more the merrier, but 200 would work, assuming you have the terrain or gears for it.

  2. #2pondo2014-06-10 20:19

    Thxs lumberjack, what would the right gears be? Still need good low gears for onsite stuff. Life is pretty full already, with too many distractions. Been spoiled with auto tran in pickups...would Alison auto have the right gears. Not saying this the right truck but just for discussion http://4wheelsenterprises.com/productitem_135.php ...

  3. #3lumberjack2014-06-10 22:30

    200hp and a 5 speed wouldn't be much fun in hilly terrain. You need low gears for getting around off road and higher gears stepping up for getting around on the highway. A 5 speed and a 2 speed rear would be ok.

  4. #4gkenworth2014-06-10 22:34

    That truck looks like a good option. Allison automatics are pretty bulletproof, but don't neglect them in the of season or if they start acting odd. I'd look at gearing around 3.9 - 4.1, especially with an Allison as most of them have a 'low'. Imho

  5. #5Steve Frazier2014-06-11 01:29

    The truck you linked would require a CDL here in the states, if it were me I'd be looking at a 32-34,000 GVWR truck with 300hp or thereabouts and take full advantage of the CDL requirement.

  6. #6Brandt2014-06-11 15:42

    +1 For almost 50 large I would look for a slightly older tandem axle. I would stay 2002 thru 1994. Anything 2003 and newer is gonna have nightmare emissions on it.

  7. #7pondo2014-06-11 21:43

    Thxs guys. I specialize in compact excavation and usual have squeeze into jobsites It is great to be able sneak truck around site adds value and options...so I think I am going to stay with single. No big cdl requirements here...yes have "A" driver lic...mostly about money more Rgw more money! My pickup truck including weight for trailer annual government fee/ plate is almost $700. I told triaxels dumptruck $6 000! The nice government double fee in the last 2yrs! So need to run a lot of days just for government. Smaller truck less fee. Can I get an auto tran with 2speed rear (sorry if it's. A dumb question? )

  8. #8gkenworth2014-06-11 22:41

    Never seen a 2 speed axle with an auto. Don't know how you would shift it.

  9. #9lumberjack2014-06-11 23:06

    I've never seen/read about one either.... only with an auxiliary transmission. I'm pondering buying a single axle tractor... I'm looking for 400+hp, 8+ speeds (probably 10), and maybe 4wd (hard to find used, "high" hp chassis/tractors), but I'll be grossing up to 66k+.

  10. #10Brandt2014-06-12 07:40

    I don't know how easy they are to get up north but what about a military surplus truck?

  11. #11oceanobob2014-06-12 09:50

    As to the Allison and a two speed with a two axle dump, I have one of those. It works well. On another thread I wrote the details of the shifting process. * The two axle at 26k opens a lot of doors to the insurance market - this is helpful to keep the overhead lower. The license is about one half to two thirds of a ten wheeler (depending on how figured since the trailer gross weight is added in there). Yes: it is a consideration the trailer gross over 10k brings in the DOT and the commercial drivers license. But the 26k truck alone can be driven by anyone (as long as they are on the pull notice and the insurance); this may be helpful if you have to hire someone to assist in job tasks. The truck is small(er) and has been used on tight jobs to ferry loads: although many have argued they could put a ten wheeler anywhere I put a two axle. The power at around 200 hp is no dragster or Indy car. The automatic on starts and hills sure excels over a clutch. Don't miss the chatter and the burnt smell at all. FYI This Allison locks the torque converter before it allows a shift into 2nd gear, there is no slippage after initial start up. The tranny tech's said to drive it like a trash truck (but I go a little less than that).