Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HTO fluid solution?

stefuel · 2023-11-11 06:15

I know this has been beaten to death but I haven't heard anything lately. Hoping someone has a solution for our Case machines. My 1840 has wicked low hours. It has had a filter change that is obvious with the NAPA filter in place. It will be in need of a fluid change after this winter. What to do? Straight 10-30, dedicated hydraulic fluid??? I wouldn't have a problem changing to a different fluid if it weren't for the amount of old fluid still in the system that can't be drained.

Replies13
  1. #1Ed ke6bnl2023-11-11 08:10

    what I understand is the new to use fluid is 10w30 diesel grade oil. The new diesel oils have additives that are a suitable substitute for the Case HTO additive. That is the direction I will go

  2. #2bad Tom2023-11-11 09:18

    HTO fluid is mostly zinc diakyldithiophosphate and mineral oil. STP contains the same thing. I wonder why the uniloaders needed this and all of the newer machines did not. I did't think about a good diesel motor oil for a substitute.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2023-11-11 13:09

    Just use Mobil 424 or hytran/hygard in it.

  4. #4Ed ke6bnl2023-11-11 13:48

    This is what I believe was directly from case as a replacement

  5. #51693TA2023-11-11 15:03

    I have ran Shell Rotella diesel oil, (10W-30) in my 1845C for over 20 years without any leaks or failures.

  6. #6Sevy852024-02-23 03:34

    Sorry to trouble you fellas but I recently stumbled onto this thread and my case 445 has been running aw32 for years and it's due for a change and was consider going to the Rotella 10w30 but I don't have a way to flush the system and there's no dealers within hours drive of me anymore that will touch this ole girl. Safe to drain the tank and change the filter and fill back up with the rotella10w30?

  7. #7bad Tom2024-02-23 10:23

    I have mixed and matched different oils over the years and had no problems. The 10 wt oil is rated for temps between -10 and 70°, where the 10w30 will work past 112°. I don't see any problems going to rotella,

  8. #8Sevy852024-02-23 21:09

    Excellent ty!!! The previous owner I guess could never find the additive so they just went with aw32 all the time. I work the machine pretty hard and it sees temps from freezing all the way into the 90s and I have seen the hydraulics get a little warm on me and thats why I'm wanting to switch to the 10w30 rotella. Can I run straight rotella t4 10w30 without the additive since rotella comes with such a high zinc concentration already? I believe it's zinc content is higher than the addtitives.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-02-24 03:48

    Tractor hyd., trans. and diff. fluid is 10W-30 and recommended by some as good fluid for skid steers. Just use a name brand that meets the different tractor specs. I think it would be better than diesel oil.

  10. #10Sevy852024-02-26 22:30

    It depends on who you ask some say the diesel oil is better as it has a higher zinc concentration than most tractor hydraulic fluids, and the original spec for the case 445 was 10w30 motor oil with the zinc additive for higher zinc and anti foaming. I'm open to running either one I just would like to know what brands most guys are seeing that are recommended because here in Kansas city most of our farm stores fluids are really cheap and really low quality.... so unless a guy wanted to order it by the 55gallon drum shipped to the door a guy is really limited on options.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-02-26 23:23

    What specs. the oil meets are what to look for. If you don't like farm store oil, go to dealers or bulk fuel distributors. I can't see Kansas city being some remote location that it's hard to find suitable hyd. fluid for your machine. I think a fluid meeting JD J20C or Hyguard specs., etc. would be better than using motor oil. If your machine calls for a zinc additive, add a zinc additive.

  12. #12Sevy852024-02-27 08:43

    No one really stocks much here near the metro is the biggest issue, unfortunately all of our case construction dealers closed out and bought up by rental companies or we have bobcat and Kubota, but as for speaking to a mechanic none of the dealers here will even communicate with you and just referr you back to case, which we don't have a case dealer.

  13. #13bad Tom2024-02-27 10:57

    You can go to any ag CaseIH dealer Like KanEquip in Topeka or a dealer in Smithville.