Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyd. Hoses

Moonlite ยท 2014-01-22 22:21

Wanting to purchase a portable hyd. hose machine. All the parts stores around here use gates. Checked on a new one with basic fiittings and dyes up to 3/4 in. $12,000. Anybody know of a source to get a used or refurbished machine?

Replies12
  1. #1ScottAR2014-01-23 01:26

    There are usually a few on Ebay pretty regular.

  2. #2Plant Fitter2014-01-23 04:59

    Unless you are planning to make hoses for extreme pressure, why not just use the screw on fittings? You don't need any special or expensive equipment, and the fittings are re-useable as well.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2014-01-23 05:27

    Yair . . . Plant Fitter . That is really interesting. I never see screwons around machinery these days. I thought they must have fallen victim to regulation. I realise working pressures have gone up on the modern gear, but wayback they were all we used out in the sticks. We standardised on about three different sizes of hose and basic fittings. Then, with a selection of preformed blanks, bends and adaptors, you could silversolder together almost any configuration that was needed. If the screwons are still available why don't folks use them so much these days? Cheers.

  4. #4Plant Fitter2014-01-23 07:07

    Screw on / re-useable fittings used with code matched 2 wire braid hose are good for up to 5000 psi working pressure in sizes up to 1/2" ID, then it starts to drop off - 3000 psi working pressure in sizes up to 3/4" ID, 2500 psi working pressure for 1" ID, 2000 psi for 1-1/4" etc. So for high pressure on medium or large hoses they are not suitable, which is where the crimped fittings come in. But getting the crimp right is important. I have seen more crimped on fittings blown off the end of hoses than I have reuseables. Most of the time if you measure the crimp after the failure, it hasn't been done properly. You are right, the reuseable fittings are dying out. I think their demise is partly the need for higher pressures, but more due to people being too lazy to fit hose ends. I hate having to buy new hose ends because the crimped on fittings cannot be reused.

  5. #5BillG2014-01-23 09:33

    Most of the reusable fittings have increased in price to the point that I use them only as a last resort. I think (dangerous I know) most manufacturers make more money on the machines and inventory with crimp fittings and would like to see the reusables disappear. They also don't like the term "reusable", they prefer "field installable". Forty years ago I had an Equipto cabinet in the truck, I think 24 drawers, it was 1/2 full of reusable fittings and took care of 95% of my hose needs. Today that Equipto would be the size of a 53' trailer and still be short of some stuff.

  6. #6Scrub Puller2014-01-23 10:00

    Yair . . . Gotcha BillG . The "field installable" type are very handy when you are out in the sticks five hundred kays from any press. As mentioned in the #4 post there used to be arrange of silversolderable adapters, bends and fittings available and I used to make/adapt assemblies all the time. Cheers.

  7. #7adkhomeboy2014-01-23 19:23

    I got my parker and cat XT hose press on ebay look at universal hose in VA. they are on ebay

  8. #8Mike L2014-01-23 19:46

    find a hyd. supply company. I had looked into it and if I bought my fittings from them, they would lease me a crimper for something like $1 a month. I think it was barnes distributors

  9. #9mitch5042014-01-23 20:03

    Real good outfit to do business with, they sell a lot of used and refurbished crimpers. I buy all my fittings from them. http://www.cavalierhoseandfittings.com/ Never used these people: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/

  10. #10Moonlite2014-01-24 22:27

    I looked into reusable fittings. Seemed to expensive . Thanks for all the info.

  11. #11Moonlite2014-01-24 22:30

    I find it's best I stay away from places that use discount in thier title or the word cheep in advertisement . Lol

  12. #12GregD12014-01-25 07:23

    You need a hose dealed that will work with you to help you, not just take your money. I`ve got 4 presses running around and haven`t paid a penny for any of them as long as I continue to buy fittings and hose from them. They come and check the fittings we have in stock and restock it accordingly. Don`t let them stock you up on fittings you don`t use.