Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

underrcarriage measurement tools

powerjoke ยท 2014-01-21 23:08

i have seen plastic U/C measuring devices on ebay that are basically just a profile of new components but really doesn't have wear or replace markings on them do they?? does anyone know where to buy a complete set of these or do you have to buy them individually ? surely someone other than cat makes them right?? i normally just visually look and guess at the life but it would be nice for buying and even selling used machines as far as that goes to have a actual measurement, whenever i have a machine professionally evaluated they just use calipers and a tape measure but where in the world would i find a book that showed the measurements ? we have a variety of machines not just cat so i would like to have a complete book but any help at this point would be appreciated pj

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2014-01-22 00:00

    There isn't one book that covers everything. There are manufacturers' books that cover their products for most things. Cat has a book but is going computer for the new stuff. I have one that is about ten years old. Deere has a book for older stuff and I tried to get the latest book but they would not sell to me. Komatsu used to have a book that covered everything but years ago went to only putting their specs in the associated service manual. I've seen a Berco book but not gotten one in my hands. I believe there was an IPD book at one time and I'm sure there are others if you check with other suppliers. As for the tools, I obtained mine one at a time. A large and medium set of calipers, metric tape measure, steel rule in a combination square in metric and english measure and I made a tool for measuring idlers. You can purchase a measuring kit from Cat, I don't know the number but I'm sure they are available. Mine was less expensive and is just as accurate. The only bummer I have now is that on the large machines with the suspended undercarriage you can't measure the bottom rollers with a caliper. That takes their ultrasonic measuring tool. Good Luck

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-01-22 00:02

    You can use a caliper and a ruler as well as a tape measure. Pm me your email and Ill send you my wear guides.

  3. #3pipeline mech2014-01-22 17:48

    You can purchase the kit from Cat for around $640.00 part#6v9413 if you want to burn some cash. You can get pretty much get all your measurements like John and Andrew explained just as easy.

  4. #4QuickTrax2014-01-23 13:56

    If you have a couple common machines you see I can send you wear specs to keep on file.

  5. #5catman570222015-01-24 23:49

    Hi, I really don't see why anyone would want to try and buy a set. I worked for both John Deere and Komatsu dealers as a product support representative for nearly 20 years and undercarriage evaluations were almost done daily for one customer or another. It is always a FREE service.

  6. #69420pullpan2015-01-25 21:06

    i have a Cat Ultrasonic Wear Indicator Set #168-7720 to measure u/c wear. Not sure what its worth but ive been thinking of selling it. Its nice be it can measure the thickness of any metal, even blade thickness. I have some cat u/c books as well that give you the % of wear.

  7. #79420pullpan2015-01-28 17:42

    Im trying to sell it on Ebay, make me an offer! PM me if you have any interest Caterpillar 168-7720 Ultrasonic Wear Indicator III Group - Track Measuring Tool

  8. #8old-iron-habit2015-01-28 20:29

    There is a post over at the ACMOC board where they are working on a full set of water jet, precision cut, track measuring tools. Will probably be available either singly or as a set.

  9. #9andhikayudha2016-04-28 02:35

    it call CTS (custom track service) and its free service for customer that use CAT unit or CAT undercarriage..If you intersting tool please PM me. i have tool manual and ultrasonic..

  10. #10Fred Spain2022-05-27 20:36

    Can I suggest going to https://www.acmoc.org/components/co...043033_replica-parts-price-list-full-2022.pdf to purchase these Gauges.

  11. #11joe--h2022-05-27 21:04

    Fred, you have 2 posts, both in threads that are 10 years old. Start a new one & maybe you'll get an answer. Joe H