Hi there, I'm looking for some help identifying what hydraulic couplers are fitted to my tilting bucket. Found this quite difficult to connect and disconnect so I'm considering switching them out for flat face couplers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Jase
Iso agricultural fittings. Ut hard to tell as i cant see the size stamped on coupling but it thread will most likely be 1/2 bsp p. Just unscrew them and take them to your local hydraulic place and buy flat face couplings.
Thanks for your reply Cliffy. I'll do that. Cheers
Flat face couplers will not be any easier, I will promise you. If your excavator has a way to relieve the pressure in the system, at least the bucket end you can bang the coupler tip against the bucket to let the pressure off.
Oh that's interesting, I thought the flat face couplers were easier to fit and disconnect. Thanks for the heads up.
If they are bled completely off, they are fine. Also, easier to clean/keep clean. But, they don't hook up under pressure any different than an ag-style.
That style of coupler should stay on the back of a farm tractor IMO. A good set of flat face couplers are a much better option.
Only because of contamination potential.
Thanks 92U.
I think they are Stucci? couplers from Italy. Probably 1" or bigger to handle the flow. I have them on my backhoe to replace the Cat couplers that are similar but ridiculously pricey. The pressure has to be bled off and they couple fine. As far as dirt connect the hoses together when the hoe is off or install caps. Unless you get expensive couplers they can all be a pain to connect if there's any pressure in the lines. Any couplers should be wiped off before connecting. The lines for your tilting bucket aren't going to be used for multiple implement changes like a farm tractor.
Thanks Dave, being new to excavators, are there any tricks to bleeding the pressure off? Cheers
Couple of ways to relieve pressure. Hold the male fitting in your hand and sharply hit the tip on the dipper arm. Once it cracks open hold weight on it until the pressure releases. Or undo fitting with shifter. Wear glasses and be careful of oil penetration.
Thanks Cliffy. Undoing the fitting with a shifter was how I got it to work the only time I've connected the tilting bucket. Thanks for your advice.
These days I just keep an aerosol can of degreaser close by and spray the couplings before I connect to keep the contamination out. I cannot see how the flat face ones are any cleaner then the ag type when it comes to dust.
Great tip, thanks RC
Well, there is a little nipple on the end there..............you could suck it. Oh wait.........you could flick it. .....Oh wait dammit......beat it against something.
Hahaha
If the fitting is too hard to push, loosening it is easy enough. When uncoupling move the valve back and forth, if possible, with the engine off to relief pressure.
We use a screw type on the loaders for brooms, snow blades. And road widener. It releases the pressure as you tighten it
Amazon.com: The Original Hydraulic Quick Coupling Pressure Decompression Relief Release Tool 1/2" Ag/Pioneer/Poppet Size fits models of Kubota, John Deere, Other Compact Tractors : Patio, Lawn & Garden Buy The Original Hydraulic Quick Coupling Pressure Decompression Relief Release Tool 1/2" Ag/Pioneer/Poppet Size fits models of Kubota, John Deere, Other Compact Tractors: Spare & Replacement Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com Maybe take a look at this, or something like it. On a personal note, I don't like to run auxiliary hydraulics through quick couplers. The fluid redirects just add heat and back pressure. I recommend using straight JIC fittings in the appropriate size. Cap and plug the hoses and valves when not in use. A little messy but a lot less grief, imho.
We had issues with a loader heating hydraulic oil because the screw type coupler wasn't tight enough
The screw type couplers are good but pretty pricey.
One of the reasons we went with screw type was lack of mess. A lot of times if you change attachments a lot, like an open broom or a pickup broom. You get that mess of oil. You don't get that with the screw type. Plus you get the screw on caps
I get that. The screw type would cost over $400 though. I guess it depends on how often you change attachments.
Those to look to be for 1/2". Maybe they come in bigger sizes?? Depends on the flow rating of the machine.
We still use the quick couplers. The bobcats have so many attachments, so just better to stay with what they have Plus I think bobcat can de pressurize the auxiliary line. The hammer on the excavators is quick couplers. Any machine working on new asphalt, can't leak oil. So our shoulder machine goes on a loader
The main issue with non-locking threaded couplers is that they tend to back off. Seen a lot of breakers and hopacs come in for repair for that reason.
Never an issue so far, but they are usually given a couple cracks with a hammer to tighten.
Maybe put a tee in the lies along with a bleeder valve in the branch side of it ?? These are rated for 10,000 psi.
Not sure if it would work for other brands
There's nothing internal on the FM end of a FF like the ag qc's. Just wipe the flat face with your thumb. Still a pita and even a few degrees in temperature (like leaving an attachment in the sun) difference will give you a fight. I usually have to break a line on one of the 2 couplers.
It works on most all machines in the last 20 years, as long as the accumulator has proper charge. Our 10 year old Case currently needs to have the accumulator recharged.