Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Cylinder rebuild help!

Big Phil · 2024-07-16 15:29

My problem is I can’t get the cylinder nut/cap off. And I’m wondering if the thing circled in red is some kind of retaining pin or key that is keeping the cap nut from turning? This is off of a Wyndham forklift, single acting cylinder 5 inch bore any help would be appreciated thanks in advance! The part i’m referring to is shown in the close-up in the first picture and circled in red in the second picture

Replies9
  1. #1Cliffy2024-07-16 20:11

    its looks like your correct. In that grove will (should) be a spring retainer. Clean the grove and spin the gland. Find the end of the wire and wind it out. Then use rod as a slide hammer to pop gland off.

  2. #2MarcusZ19672024-07-16 21:29

    The kits I got for our forklift, had that flat wire in the kit new. Like @Cliffy said, the gland will (should) spin and reveal the wire end. I took a screwdriver and pried up the end then started spinning it out. There might be a small slot in the gland that it hooks in. Make sure you line up that slot with the external slot when reassembling.

  3. #3Big Phil2024-07-17 10:21

    Alright. Thank you both

  4. #4Big Phil2024-07-19 23:46

    Finaly got it apart. Where can I get either a kit or individual seals ( u cup seal, + o-ring with a backer) 5” bore. It’s off of a Windham forklift. No longer in business as far as I know.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-07-20 00:32

    Your local hydraulic shop should be able to match seals.

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-07-20 08:40

    You have a model number on this lift?

  7. #7Big Phil2024-07-25 15:02

    No model number, Windham forklift is the only thing on it anywhere.. I ordered some U-cup seals for the piston. Matched all seals closest I could find. We shall see , should be here tomorrow.

  8. #8MarcusZ19672024-07-25 15:18

    Bummer on the missing tag and good luck on the seal fitup. Did you save that capture wire?

  9. #9Big Phil2024-07-25 16:42

    Yes I saved it. $26 for a new one