have a leaking loader cylinder so I am looking for tools for cap removal and seal replacement advice. i have seen some homemade tools for spinning those end caps off but it seems like the locking notches on some of the cylinders are different. surely there are profession tools out there. is it best to just take your existing seals to a local place and match or are the caliper measurements and the internet good enough. Thanks guys The Rookie :usa
You could by the tools which can cost a lot of money depending on the cylinder type. Some tools can be found on the internet and some you can only get at dealer. If your doing this a lot it might be worth the money to buy the correct tools other wise I would just use a big pipe wrench to take the cylinder apart. They say OEM seal kits should be used, but a local hyd. shop can match them and should work just as well.
You could make some homemade tools. Here are some I made to take apart Ford/New Holland cylinders.
I just recently repacked every cylinder on my 580e, most all of the cylinders were different size. Would've took a whole toolbox full of specialty tools! Big pipe wrench etc. works fine. Case was very reasonable for seals, $20 or less per cyl.
Are you going to replace the seals in the head? If so 9 out of ten times you will need to take it to the local hyd shop anyway. The nut on the end of the rod usually has a very high torque and is near impossible to get off without torque multipliers and a good way to hold the rod. If the cylinder bleeds down than it is the piston seals, if it is leaking around the rod than the head seals are to blame.
seal just put a rod seal in my ford 555d. 4 dollars. used pipe wrench to spin out retain wire. bought a spanner thing from case for the 580. about 75 dollars 5 yrs ago. sorry no capital letters. am holding a 7 month old and typing with 1 finger. lb love those shopmade tools. have a rod seal installer i made from a door hinge. lb
cylinder repairs Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like a little of both, homegrown and pro tools will be neccesary, certainly eventually. I'm still on the hunt for a good hydraulic shop I can work with, sounds like that can make or break ya. Lawton :usa
It's called a "Gland Nut Wrench" ask me how I know. They are adjustable and have replacement pins (and they are reversible for smaller pin holes) They run about $90 and replacement pins are $7 You can search for gland nut wrench. I use the OTC brand #1266. But I have also decided its just not worth it to me anymore. I'm sending all of my stuff out. It's really cheaper in the long run. If this is a Case machine, get ready cause they are going to be on there with brute force!!!! I have broken I bet 10 pins off over the years.
gland nut wrench thanks thehose, i'm going to google what you mentioned but the way you describe it sounds like what I was beginning to design. almost like a huge adjustable oil filter wrench. i own a dynahoe so I let ya know about getting the nut loose "the Rookie" :usa
I have a tip on how to get the nut off at the end of the ram rod. I believe it is called the gland nut. Any way this is how I have been doing it... after removing the cap at the top of the cylinder, which can be a chore all by itself. I made myself my own homemade tool. anyway after removing the ram out of the cylinder place the ram on the ground ofcourse protecting it w/ wood etc. and slide a pipe or some other strong piece of iron through the "EYE" of the ram, then simply drive your truck onto that peice of iron near the eye. use the correct nut w/ a breaker bar and a cheater pipe to break the nut loose. Make sure your tire is centered on the piece of iron and the parking brake is on so the truck doesnot roll off of the piece of iron. Sometime the gland nuts are so tight you will start lifting the truck off of the ground. So far that is how i have been able to do all my cylinder rebuilds. ofcourse you have to place the truck and the iron in the right places for it to work, you'll see if you try it. It really works, I can rebuild my rams right in the field w/o any really special tools. You can also use a pipe wrench on the nut, but if you have the socket that would be better.
i bought my gland removal tool from summit racing for about $80 usd. it has reversible pins and is very strong. i spun the head off of two 3/4" breaker bars while using this gland tool with no damage at all to the gland tool. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OTC-1266/