Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Cylinder Repair

CIWS14 ยท 2007-10-08 14:09

Since were on the topic of hydraulic cylinder repair, I have a couple of questions. I have a couple leaking cylinders on my JCB. (I know, don't say it, it's leaking because it's a JCB.) When I looked at them closer, it appears that the piston rod itself, has a ding in it. It looks large enough to damage the seal and cause the leak. What would you do in this case. JCB wanted around $300 for a piston rod. Is it worth the time to have the ding fill-welded and then machined? I would have to get it chromed and I have no idea what that costs. I currenlty have a damaged outrigger and bucket dump rods damaged. Any thoughts?

Replies3
  1. #1LeakyBoot2007-10-08 15:42

    Repairs You might ck prices on the repair you mentioned and compare to having a new rod made. Shop here stocks rod and sells by the inch. The drill and thread piston end and use your pin end--just weld it to new rod. I ask about recrome some older rods I have and they said a new one was cheaper. I'd ck prices. If your not pickey you might try to smooth out the nick and put in a new seal and just see how long it lasted. Rod seals are cheap if you have time to mess with it.

  2. #2thehose2007-10-10 18:40

    Call around to some local hydraulic repair shops. They aren't going to really want to give a solid estimate because they simply don't know exactly what it will take. But they may be able to put you in the ballpark. But I have some guys around me that work wonders and are very reasonable.

  3. #3MKTEF2007-10-11 15:56

    If there is only some small damage to the rod there is repair systems available. Some of the welding firms have special welding sticks that u use, and then use a file and grinding paper to get it smooth. The metal welded on is very soft and can be smoothed enough after some work. U use different grade of grinding paper. But as stated before here, the best solution is to contact the rebuilding shops. They weld on your old eye to a new rod. And change the seals, all in one job. If ther's problems with the tube they weld on a new one there too. And of course if your unlucky and get damage to a rod, go on it imediately with a file and remove the sharp edges. Might save your seals if you do it immediately.