I am looking for a backhoe or mini-excavator to clear some overgrown areas on my property. I have been the rental route and it is a real PITA. Locally I have found the JCB at a very good dealer (we used him in the utility business), but not being familiar with that brand, I am hesitant due to the bottom line price of 17.5K. The machine is just over 5K hours, has extend a hoe and a 4 way digging bucket. It belonged to a local water authority. I have read the three old threads I could find here and picked up some information. My gut feeling is that the price is too high and the machine is prone to constant hydraulic leaks. Probably should run from the deal. Any other opinions? Great board by the way! Don
Check www.machinerytrader.com and www.equipmenttraderonline.com to see what else is out there. There are better deals on nicer machines to be had if you keep looking. Cat, Case, or Deere will be better long term for getting parts.
JCB isn't that great of a backhoe. There was a road construction company putting it the storm drains in on my road last summer. The machine did't even compare to the Case they brought in upon the operator's request. Also for a 1987 with 7k hours for $17k as absurd. You can buy a early 1990's machine for that price. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6094983&guid=F0DDEA98F0704EBE99FCE140196EBA25 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6102892&guid=F0DDEA98F0704EBE99FCE140196EBA25 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6098707&guid=F0DDEA98F0704EBE99FCE140196EBA25 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6060869&guid=F0DDEA98F0704EBE99FCE140196EBA25 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6108178&guid=F0DDEA98F0704EBE99FCE140196EBA25
I agree That is what I was thinking too. Who knows, if I sit on it long enough they may reduce the price to what it is worth. Don