Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic cylinder seal

RoccoHD ยท 2021-06-18 12:15

Could use a tip or two on the easiest way to install the rigid plastic/nylon step seals that seems to be on every hydraulic cylinder gland nut of my old Case 580ck. They give me fits and I know there has to be an easier way than what I'm using. https://photos.app.goo.gl/RQSQD5RpzPQFy4oPA

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-06-18 12:40

    It appears that that is the wiper seal that goes in the outer (last) groove in the gland. Could you post a photo of the seal that you are having a problem with. If it is the inner seal that has to be folded before installing there is a very neat tool available to fold it and install it. For those that don't have a Google account here is Rocco's seal.

  2. #2RoccoHD2021-06-18 13:15

    I apologize for the photo. If you blow it up you'll see the seal is sitting on top of the gland. I have the necessary tools for the rubber seals that collapse them. This is a hard plastic seal that has a stepped edge and has no bend in it.

  3. #3NH575E2021-06-18 14:12

    Measure the OD of the seal and the ID of the hole it goes in. The seal OD should not be more than a couple thousands larger for a press fit. If it's any larger than that the kit has the wrong wiper seal for your cylinder. I ran into that on my New Holland stabilizers. I ended up machining the hole out for the included seal. I also ran into it on my crowd cylinder in fact none of the possible kits had the right wiper. On that I had to measure the hole and order a wiper seal by size.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-06-18 14:24

    Can you post a photo of the seal out of the gland ? Which cylinder is it for ? Does the new seal match the old one that you took out ? It should not be that difficult to install.

  5. #5Outdoort2021-06-19 15:07

    So Ive done like 8 cylinders so far on my 580 super k and all Ive used is a pick set/ some fine emery cloth/ and a hammer with a aluminum rod used to install the wiper seal. Ive never had a problem installing the main gland seal, and never needed the special fold over install tool.

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2021-06-19 21:57

    That is the wiper seal that goes on the other end of gland.

  7. #7melben2021-06-20 08:47

    I have done hundreds of them and just used a hammer handle and rolled them into place, Very seldom had any difficulty.