Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Filter Replacement

PJM ยท 2019-11-03 20:25

I can't find instructions in the operator manual SEBU8746 on how to replace the Hydraulic oil filter, part number 217-2456. I suppose it might be simple. I think I found it right at the front of the right side access door. Do I just need to relieve the hydraulic pressure and then unscrew the old one and screw the new one inline? Are there torque settings to consider? O-rings? Why aren't the instructions to replace this filter in SEBU8746 operation and maintenance manual? Am I correct in thinking it is the identified part in the photo below?

Replies15
  1. #1Theweldor2019-11-03 20:28

    That is not a filter. That is an accumulator. You don't want to be messing with that unless you know what you are doing. Could be quite a bit of pressure there.

  2. #2f311fr12019-11-03 20:48

    Show a picture of the hydraulic tank front top

  3. #3PJM2019-11-03 22:42

    It's hard to see, but there's a skinny red arrow in the photo pointing to the filter or what looks like the part I have that says it's the hydraulic oil filter. It is down and to the left of the accumulator in the photo. It basically looks like a very large hex bolt, but there are male threads on one end and female threads on the other.

  4. #4Cmark2019-11-04 01:45

    Despite being called a filter, that's not a routine maintenance item. Is there a particular reason you're changing it?

  5. #5Nige2019-11-04 04:03

    That "filter" is listed as the Implement Pilot filter. I suspect that it's probably nothing more than a fine screen to prevent damage from a system catastrophe passing into the pilot circuit and contaminating things all to Hell and back. 1. There is no recommendation in the O&M Manual to replace it at any specific interval, or even "When Required after a major system failure" for that matter. 2. If you are dead set on replacing it (personally I wouldn't), change the two 3J-1907 O-Rings, one on each end, at the same time and pull all the connections up well snug without resorting to heaving on them with an 18"-long wrench.

  6. #6PJM2019-11-04 13:18

    I'm not dead set on changing it, no. I suppose I need to share more history. I went to Finning and they sold me a bunch of parts for the 500 hr maintenance schedule. I wrote down the list of things listed as overdue in the COMPASS shown below and they sold me a box of stuff for about $600 including: Air filter, fuel water separator filter, hydraulic return oil filter and an o-ring, 2 gallons of engine oil, 1 gallon of final drive oil, and the hydraulic oil filter in the photo above. Below are screen shots of the COMPASS monitor. I've typed out the list above each photo as well, because some of them are hard to read, due to bad photos. Screen 1: HYD OIL FILTER (this is the one I'm asking about in this thread. What am i supposed to do for this one? I can't find anything in the OMM or online.) 551 / 500 HYD RETURN FILTER (This one I replaced. It was at an angle, submerged in the hydraulic tank. Tall perforated canister type filter) 551 / 500 HYD OIL (thank goodness i don't have to do this one for a long time) 164 / 2000 FUEL FILTER (I asked about this in another thread. I think it's the fuel / water separator (primary fuel filter) I changed it ahead of schedule) 403 / 500 screen 2: FUEL TANK FILTER (I believe, based on the other thread, this is the Fuel tank screen.Thank you, Nige! It just needs to be cleaned and reinserted.) 551 / 500 ENGINE OIL (I changed this! 551 / 500 ENGINE OIL FILTER (I changed this too) 551 / 500 COOLANT 976 / 3000 Screen 3: ENGINE OIL (repeat from above) 551 / 500 ENGINE OIL FILTER (Repeat from above) 551 / 500 COOLANT 976 / 3000 FINAL DRIVE OIL (this I still have to do, but Finning sold me the oil for it and I know how) 2027 / 2000 When not on the maintenance screen, a yellow overlay rotates through the things over due. I accidentally reset the HYD OIL FILTER one thinking it was the return oil filter, so on my machine, the COMPASS says it's been done, but it hasn't and I need to get that done before I forget and the hours tick up and I hurt my cat. Oh my, I think I may have figured it out! I was looking at the OMM. Does HYD OIL FILTER in the COMPASS mean "Hydraulic System Oil Sample - Obtain" described on page 237? hmm... no, because it says FILTER, not SAMPLE. Maybe it's just entered wrong on the COMPASS? If Cat were more consistent, it'd really help the noobs like myself.

  7. #7PJM2019-11-06 16:34

    I removed the square plate on the right hand side of the photo and replaced the filter submerged in there already. While I was at the machine, I snapped another photo of the other hydraulic filter Cat sold me, so you can see it better and next to the one that's in there. Definitely don't want to be messing with that if I don't have to, so I think my best bet is to just hold onto it or return it. Doesn't look like it's ever been replace to me. Definitely not 500 hours ago. Thanks again for your help guys. I'd be lost without you.

  8. #8f311fr12019-11-06 18:01

    return it

  9. #9Nige2019-11-07 05:00

    Wot he said.......... Regarding your question about the parameter for "hyd oil filter" in the Maintenance Menu, why not ask your dealer Service Department for an explanation..? I'm sure all of us here would be interested to hear their reply. The Hyd Return Filter is obvious and it's listed in the O&M Manual to be replaced at 500 hour intervals. The 217-2456 appears nowhere in the O&M, or anywhere else in the Service Documentation for your machine as far as I can tell.

  10. #10f311fr12019-11-07 08:51

    And it sits right beside the bomb known as an accumulator

  11. #11Nige2019-11-07 09:06

    I agree, but having read through the Hydraulic SysOp the pressure in the pilot system drops off to zero when the engine is stopped, and the oil in the accumulator drains down. On that basis removing it to replace/repair should involve no more than checking to make sure that there is no residual hydraulic pressure left in the pilot system. Looking closer at the illustration I wonder if the filter comes apart, and if it does - what's actually inside it.? Anything that can be cleaned in a parts washer maybe.?

  12. #12PJM2019-11-07 14:02

    Okay! I called Finning. Talked to 3 different people who were all curious too. Finally, we got a service tech on the call and he said that particular COMPASS monitor is used on several machines from small ones like mine, a 303.5, on up to 320's. Some of the larger machines do have 2 hydraulic oil filters, but mine does not. Since I replaced the hydraulic return filter, he said just reset the HYD OIL FILTER hour indicator as well. As an aside: They did confirm that I do need to get the SOS on the fluids, so I'll take the pilot filter back (it cost $86 CAD for the curious btw) and pick up some SOS containers to get analyzed. He suggested I take samples from several different compartments on the machine, including the hydraulic tank and the final drives. I'll do the coolant too. I already changed the engine oil, but I'll run it and get that done also. He said it's always good to get that done because it'll save me a LOT of money in the long run.

  13. #13Nige2019-11-08 04:46

    If you're going to take samples make sure that you do it when the machine has been working and is fully up to operating temperature. Cold oil can give all sorts of weird results.

  14. #14Nige2019-11-08 08:39

    Here's a few factoids from the Cat Parts web site regarding the 217-2456 that may only be of interest to me, however - @ 60 microns this "filter" is only gonna collect small children, dogs, and tree branches........confirming my initial suspicion that it is there to protect the pilot system from large particles in the case of a catastrophic pump failure or something similar - and therefore you would ONLY replace it after any major failure as part of the repairs to the hydraulic system.

  15. #15kshansen2019-11-08 09:12

    Actually some of the smaller breeds of dogs might sneak through!