Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic fluid change- ISO VG #46

Kevin Cohrs · 2020-05-12 00:44

Would like to do a hydraulic fluid-filter change on my Volvo EC460B machine. Seen a label on the oil tank which says ISO VG #46. Does it have to be anything more specific than just those standard specs? Found where I can order it in bulk for a fairly reasonable price if its the correct fluid I need. https://buysinopec.com/collections/...ar-hydraulic-oil-fluid?variant=31274813161570

Replies27
  1. #1tlema2020-05-12 02:50

    Here is a cheaper one..... https://ebay.to/2LiMOnR

  2. #2skata2020-05-12 03:35

    That's actually way higher. 55 gallon drum vs 275 gallon tote. They sell drums too for 299.

  3. #3Kevin Cohrs2020-05-12 11:44

    Looks like I need a high viscosity oil. Machine specs call for a viscosity index of 160 or higher. Believe the standard ISO 46 is rated close to 100. Not sure if it would really matter much...

  4. #4Se.la2020-05-12 12:27
  5. #5Kevin Cohrs2020-05-12 12:41

    Yeah looks like High Viscosity is correct

  6. #6skata2020-05-13 09:16

    That's where it gets harder, to find fluids with a higher viscosity index. Which means it will perform better in colder weather. I had hard time finding fluid for a genie lift. Ended up using dexron/mercon fluid, which is actully hydraulic fluid but red. And has a high viscosity index.

  7. #7Kevin Cohrs2020-05-13 11:33

    So if you were to use a more standard hydraulic oil with a viscosity index of around 100, it basically would not perform well in extreme cold or heat? A 160 number or above must stay more consistent.

  8. #8Nige2020-05-13 11:55

    Amazing what a few minutes searching on the internet can do - Try the Texaco/Chevron Rando HD LVZ range of oils. Specifically marketed as meeting VCE 1286.08 and 1286.0. and has passed both Volvo 2,000 and 5,000 hour Excavator Field Tests. Data sheet attached - https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=322447&docFormat=PDF

  9. #9Ct Farmer2020-05-13 14:36

    Rando HD is very good oil. Pretty much all we run. Not inexpensive at $650 a barrel last time we got a few but then replacing pumps isn’t cheap either. With oil sampling and use of a filter cart it lasts way beyond the recommended change interval. In the long run we figure using top of the line oil saves money.

  10. #10Nige2020-05-13 15:44

    Using the best quality oil & filters on a machine is the best insurance policy you can ever buy.

  11. #11Ben Witter2020-05-13 16:09

    When figuring that lube and filter costs are only 2-4% of the operating costs of a machine they are not the place to cut costs. Mobil DTE10 will fit the application as well.

  12. #12Nige2020-05-13 16:18

    I posted the details of the Texaco/Chevron product simply because it was the first one I came across. At the time I was reasonably sure all the major lubricant companies would make something similar, I just couldn't be bothered to look any further. The interesting thing to come out of this is apparently the oils that meet the Volvo "High VI" requirement are all ashless (zinc-free). So it appears that we can now add Volvo to the list of manufacturers that require ashless hydraulic oil in their excavator product line. Up to now Hitachi was pretty much the only name on that list.

  13. #13skata2020-05-13 16:40

    And what would happen if you used fluid with zinc?

  14. #14Nige2020-05-13 17:08

    I'm not saying a hydraulic oil with a zinc-based wear package can't be used. However it does not appear that a mineral oil with a zinc-based anti-wear package will meet Volvo's 160 Viscosity Index requirement, because they typically have a VI somewhere around 100. Therefore oils with a zinc-based anti-wear package do not meet the Volvo specification and by the letter of the law should not be used. On a machine with dealer support not using an oil that met Volvo's requirements would be a key factor, on an older machine possibly not so much. What I am saying is that all the hydraulic oils meeting the Volvo requirement that have come out of the woodwork as a result of the OP's question are without exception zinc-free and synthetic, therefore IMHO it seems fair to assume that Volvo's specifications VCE 1286.08 and 1286.09 were written around ashlless synthetic oils.

  15. #15Tenwheeler2020-05-13 20:54

    Add the JD mini X to that.

  16. #16Nige2020-05-13 20:58

    I'd heard about some of the JD excavator product line requiring ashless hydraulic oil, and TBH it's not surprising with them being in bed with Hitachi. However it was all anecdotal information up until you posted.

  17. #17mg23612020-05-14 05:14

    "All" Deere excavators (since the metric designation) specify zinc free oil (Hitachi Super EX-46HN).

  18. #18dewbee2025-11-14 14:16

    I know this is old, but im going through the same issue right now and this fluid u posted about only has a vi of 107. Volvo states it needs to be 160 or more. I've called every bulk distributor within 100 miles of me and none of them carried over 100. Contacted the nearest volvo dealer and asked what the vi was and the didn't know. Asked for the pds on their fluid..they were clueless. I just want to see if theirs specs out at 160 or not.

  19. #19Coaldust2025-11-14 15:56

    Hello Dewbee from TN. Good folks in TN. You ever visit the English Mountain Trout Farm for a trout lunch? You are looking at the wrong spec sheet. Look at Rando HD LVZ.

  20. #20Nige2025-11-14 16:57

    He means this one. VI is 165 for all grades.

  21. #21IceHole2025-11-16 12:21

    I've never heard of Rando LVZ, must be a "sunsetted" product as Chevron doesn't even list it. Though they are horrible about changing names and removing any references to the old stuff. Like Delo 400 SDE, which was sunsetted a year or 2 ago, any references to it are gone in the database. It's very annoying when a customer has an older product they want more of. "I swear we just bought this a few years ago"... pail fill date of 1997. (Chevron lubes is mostly what I sell at work) There's Rando HDZ which is an excellent hydraulic oil. P66 MEGAFLOW HVI or POWERFLOW NZ HE are as well.

  22. #22Coaldust2025-11-16 13:39

    Yeah. That’s kinda confusing. We got a new Chevron rep., Aaron. I’ll have to ask him about that. I think LZV might be the Texaco branded Rando.

  23. #23IceHole2025-11-16 15:41

    If it's the Aaron in thinking of, he was my boss for a short while.

  24. #24dewbee2025-11-17 20:15

    I'm the flat lander on the other side of TN. I looked them up and will have to give them a try next time I'm out that way. Use to go out that way several times a year but haven't been out there much lately. I thought I looked up the right one but maybe not. Either way, I can't find the HD LVZ. I called Chevron directly and they don't have a clue neither. Claimed I can't believe what I see on their website. They said they would call me back tomorrow.

  25. #25dewbee2025-11-18 12:03

    According to Chevron, HD LVZ is not available in the States, its European. Rando HDZ would be the closest at a VI of 155 in the 46 and their compositions and chemical properties match (between Rando HDZ and Volvo 98611). Local Volvo dealer says their Volvo brand is only a standard aw 46 (which doesn't meat specs!) and won't tell me which Volvo fluid other than its a standard viscosity index. Guess I'll just use the standard aw46 I get from the parts house for a fraction of the cost since Rando HDZ is a special order around me.

  26. #26Coaldust2025-11-18 14:01

    Interesting. You could check with your P66 distributor and see if they have Megaflow HVI.

  27. #27apetad2025-11-21 12:44

    Rando is the best AW46 we've found. People need to know there are many grades of AW46 with PREMIUM being used in hydrostatic systems