I’ve seen a few comments made here about the importance of keeping the hydraulic system clean when replacing hoses. I’m pretty good about capping off the lines, etc when I removed a hose. However, what is the best way to clean out a new hose to remove assembly debris before installing? Is compressed air sufficient? Some type of solvent? Thanks in advance!
Sponge (aka projectile) gun. As proof of cleaning a lot of hydraulic shops put the 3 dirty projectiles in a bag and ship it taped or zip tied to the new hose.
@Nige thats interesting! I’m certain my local hydraulic shop is not cleaning hose assemblies to that level!
Ask them why........... that procedure is industry standard.
The practice may be industry standard for franchised equipment dealers and factory hose distributors but it is far from standard for your basic auto parts dealer or job shop to provide. Most of the bottom feeders as are know in this area don't even know about those foam plugs and probably decide they aren't worth the cost to begin with. They have a point in that any kind of medium and high pressure hose will be returning any debris back through a return filter before it goes into the hydraulic tank and it is more likely than not to get caught there. On the other hand, when a machine is started up cold, the thicker oil is usually bypassed around the filter and drops straight into the tank. You might talk to your supplier and bring up the subject. It is worth the discussion.
I’ve got a couple hoses that are in need of replacement so I will drop in to the local hose shop soon and ask what they do for cleaning. Outside of the foam plugs is there anything the end user can do to clean the hose before installation?
On our own equipment in the field, we use breakleen and 120 psi air. I know its not the best, but its what we can do.
The field hydraulic service outfits here also clean as per Niges post so it can be done. If they don't or won't don't use them. Loss of business may change their minds.
Every shop I've worked at uses that kit. In a pinch I've used a rubber tip blow gun to blow the pigs through. Works but not as nice as the actual tool.
If its for your cat hoe in the pic You may be surprised that cat hoses are relatively reasonably priced and are far better than others right length, clocking angle on fittings,clean,have caps on them to stay clean ,proper orings, proper psi rating ect can order and have hose in hand when removing the old one all stuff that adds up to a good value I have never seen anybody other than Cat clean hose or even have proper caps available or even bags and tape to maintain any cleanliness then if you send someone to get it they think its a good idea to throw it in the back of a work truck rolling around in gravel for a few days before installing
I've heard the foam plug be called a pig
I'm kind of surprised the sponge gun isn't better recognised. I've owned one for years. It will be getting extensive use on the 963C rebuild.
Local hydraulic shop is supposed to use these when building new hoses. I had it one time that they built a pilot hose for a wheel loader and didn't clean it. Had a small piece of metal lodge in the pilot valve and cause a bit of a problem. It's such an easy procedure and when you look at what they charge it certainly should be standard.
At least you recognize the fact the hose needs cleaning after being manufactured and are trying to do something about it.
Some shops cut and crimp for free. They don’t clean. If a shop charges for cutting and crimping, they damn well should do a proper cleaning with the foam pigs and cap the hose after
Thanks for all the replies! I’ve had hoses made by Cat before to replace hoses that I could not remove until I had replacements available. They certainly seemed to maintain a high degree of cleanliness and the hoses were a reasonable price. However, the Cat dealer is 1.5 hrs away while the local hydraulic shop is 20 minutes. I’ll inquire what they use for cleaning next time I’m there.
Pigs are cheap. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a bag and clean the hoses yourself if you're questioning the practices of a hose shop. At least you'll know they're good.
None of the hydraulic hose shops near me have those guns, I've asked all round over the years. The response is usually a not bothered, not interested shrug, they've never heard of them kind of look. I've considered buying one and doing after, but can you clean them after the fittings are on? I assumed the bare hose was cleaned after cutting and skiving.
Absolutely. They will travel through fittings, junctions, steel tubes for many feet. Great for cleaning out contaminated runs while still assembled in the machine.
Works great. Beats removing every single hose and fitting.
Never thought of doing it on a contaminated system but it makes sense. Our local Princess Auto does it with every hose they assemble. They are kind of a Canadian version of Farm and Fleet and reasonably priced. Can also get hoses on the weekend.
On new hoses as far as I'm aware the SOP is to fire 2 projectiles (one from each direction) through the hose after cutting it to length, then a final projectile after crimping the end fittings in place. I completely agree with CM & 92U regarding using projectiles to clean out hoses while still installed on a machine.
Just make sure you can account for every projectile fired. I don't think they would be fun to clean out of a control valve somewhere down the line.
They use Ryco hose and fittings which are apparently high quality. The 1/2" 2 wire hose I got was rated for 5100 PSI and has better abrasion resistance. Being able to get hoses on the weekend is great. They don't blow a foam plug through after assembly and they don't cap the hoses so you have to make sure to keep them away from any dirt. Prices are pretty reasonable though.
They blow the plugs through every time where I get them made. Maybe the proximity to head office ? You should ask next time. And I’ve never had one fail as a fault of the hose. My location does put tape over the end as a precaution to keep debris out. We use a metal cap/plug if it has to go in a particularly nasty spot.
I should clarify the PA store I went to blew the foam plugs through the cut hose both ways but didn't blow them through after the fittings were crimped on. I wouldn't think there would be contamination just from crimping the fittings on. Depending on the fittings I don't know if the foam plugs could be blown through after final assembly. Capped ends are nice because you can reuse them to cap connections on the machine to keep dirt out. I have a small collection I'll use on the machine or a new hose if I have to install it in a dirty environment.
It really never occurred to me to clean new hydraulic lines other then to shoot some break Kleen through them before putting on. Never seen the shop I use do the plug thing either. Might be in for some problems down the road. Lol