Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic pump dead can I use another tractor?

Noytheyah · 2023-02-13 19:53

My Case 580C hydraulic pump is not working. Can I connect my 30hp tractor’s hydraulics to the diag ports for my 580C to lift the bucket, stabilizers and hoe? Seems I could make a hose connecting from pump and to tank and plug them in. I need to get the 580 back to my shop so I can work on the pump, again. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1Delmer2023-02-13 22:19

    The cleanest way would be to put quick couplers on the hydraulic line at the pump and the return to the tank so you don't instantly drain your tractor. The diagnostic port could work, if the hydraulic pump does not leak back, or turn backwards if the drive is broken, and the tractor has enough volume to do the work, which it should if you're retracting most of the cylinders and you have the return run to the tractor. Does that Case have two boom cylinders that extend to lift, as opposed to models that have one boom cylinder that retracts to lift? That might be more oil than the extra from the other cylinders that retract. My first choice would be to see what's wrong and if it's fixable where it is before attempting the hydraulic hookup.

  2. #2Noytheyah2023-02-14 00:22

    Yea it has twin boom cylinders. If I could retract the bucket, raise the stabilizers even a foot and get the loader off the ground I can get it back to the shop. I’ve got quick connects on my 35hp, I’d just need to get some adapters for the case diag ports. My biggest concern was something else you mentioned, fluid going back to the pump. Isn’t there a check valve between the pump and loader control valve?

  3. #3Delmer2023-02-14 00:48

    Never seen any such thing. A gear pump will turn backwards easily, might even turn the engine backwards it it's still connected. or the pump could leak back if it failed internally.

  4. #4stinky642023-02-14 10:09

    You didn't say in either thread whether or not you replaced the coupler when you replaced the pump. Did you check to see if the pump is still spinning with the engine running and under load? It may still spin the pump until it's loaded up. The fact that you replaced the pump recently doesn't mean much, the chinesium ebay pump I used to save some loot on my 1st try failed within 6 months of install. Life lesson- spend the extra cash when it counts. I don't have the counter weight on my machine so no help there, but the manual says it's not necessary. I agree with the field diagnostic approach before dicking around with all that hydraulic crossover stuff.

  5. #5Noytheyah2023-02-14 10:30

    Yes I replaced the coupler and pump. Got the replacement parts from Broken tractor. I’m just assuming it’s the pump at this point. I’ve confirmed no pressure/flow with the engine running. Filter is intact and good shape. None of the soft lines to pump collapse when the engine is running so my best guess is it the pump or coupler at this point. Side note, when the pump failed the first time it made a noise and it lost pressure over a minute or two. This time, there was no noise, no pop, snap or whine. Just all of the sudden there’s no pressure, nothing gradual. So hopefully it’s the coupling.

  6. #6stinky642023-02-14 10:38

    10-4 ,if possible get another set of eyes or hands and eyeball the pump shaft while someone operates the levers, at least that'll tell ya something. And look for shiny stuff under the coupling. Good luck

  7. #7Noytheyah2023-02-20 19:27

    Update: Good news and bad news. Well I figured out the most efficient way to perform a hydraulic fluid transfusion. I hooked up my tractor to the 580C and dumped the entire hydraulic fluid capacity in nothing flat. So if you’re going to try to do this, make sure you have a check valve on the way back to the pump. now for the good news, my coupler is stripped so I’m assuming my pump is still good.

  8. #8franklin22023-02-21 20:05

    Can you lift the loader up with a chain and your other tractor and swing down the safety prop to hold it up? Use a come-along and chains to lift up the stabilizers and chain them up. Don't know what to do about the rear bucket except just drag it along. You may need someone to play with the levers inside the hoe as you are trying to move things around and let the fluid flow out of the cylinders.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2023-02-22 21:12

    I was going to suggest the same thing as franklin. Put the loader lever in float and lift the bucket with another machine then block it up. Could do the same with the stabilizers and chain them up.