Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic quick connect

livinthedream5/1/22 · 2024-07-19 08:35

I’ve been a member for a few weeks, but this is my first post. I’ve learned a lot from these forums!! I appreciate everyone’s personal time in helping others with their various problems!! I hope this is in the right forum. I’m only posting here because I own a cat 259d3, serial # CW929495. The flat face quick connect on the machine where you hook up your attachments is giving me problems. I have replaced The fitting already, it did not help l. A picture is worth 1000 words so here is what the fitting is doing. When the fitting is in this position, you cannot hook up the male quick connect to it no matter how hard you try!! Any ideas on how to resolve this and why it’s doing it? I appreciate very much anyone’s time and responding. The machine is under warranty and I could haul it down there, but it seems like a waste for something that should be a simple fix, I would think. I’m new with this heavy equipment game, so my apologies for any dumb questions!

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2024-07-19 09:37

    My experience is that sometimes these couplers do that. I don't run CAT specifically but the couplers are much the same. If I have a rubber mallet handy, I hit the end of the coupler with it and the coupler pops back out. Not having a rubber mallet at times, I hit it with whatever is handy, and flat and solve it that way. Make sure that you remove pressure before you remove the hyd line. I can't tell if those couplers release release by pushing the coupler in as mine do or if it is done electronically. Whichever it is, get in the habit of doing that so when you hook back up you don't have backpressure at the line, making it easier to hook up.

  2. #2livinthedream5/1/222024-07-19 10:13

    Thanks for responding!! Yeah I have wacked on it a bunch. I did release the pressure prior to unhooking the hose. I even hooked up the other hose and then loosened the nut that connects the hose to the fitting to release any pressure. That didn’t help.

  3. #3TCat2024-07-19 10:55

    I've had the same problem on my Bobcat. I have found that sometimes the connector gets dirt in it which keeps it from moving properly. They can also get damaged which of course would require a replacement. If it's a dirt problem, I've had luck with douching it out with a product like WD-40 or Liquid Wrench while moving the outer collar around. You may also need to take the male connector and try pushing it in working with it to get it to free up while continuing to douche it out. I've gone as far as to remove the coupler from the machine to douche it from the inside and outside to get them freed up. If you look at how they are made, there are balls inside that are part of the mechanism, and it doesn't take much sand or dirt to get them hung up.