Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Tank Cap

NH575E ยท 2017-07-03 20:27

How often do you all clean or replace the cap on your hydraulic tank? I suppose they are all similar to the one on my New Holland. The design is an outer cap with a pleated paper element and a spring loaded pressure relief valve in the center. I wish I knew what pressure it is supposed to release at. I guess I could measure how many pounds of effort it takes to open the valve. It has a pretty stout spring in it and that gets compressed 70% or 80% when the cap is assembled. I can open it fairly easy with a couple of small screwdrivers. I am tempted to drill and tap the tank and put a zero to 25lb gauge on it to monitor how much pressure it gets up to. Not sure what if any damage it would do when clogged. I know a clogged vent on an axle or transmission will cause seals to start leaking. I have run into that on several vehicles and my little John Deere hydrostatic tractor. Mine seemed to have a lot of pressure built up when I removed it today so I cleaned it for the second time in a year and a half. I pry the outer case off and wash it in diesel fuel to start. Then I wash it out with carb or brake cleaner and blow it dry with compressed air. Here is what it looks like disassembled.

Replies1
  1. #1mitch5042017-07-04 00:24

    It is supposed to hold pressure in the tank, I forget how much but I think it's around 5-7 psi. If you are working at a slant this will keep oil flowing to your pump suction.