Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic test gauges

Wino ยท 2014-06-19 10:45

I need to buy a set of gauges to test hydraulics on a jd410. I've never own gauges before and this is my first machine. I don't want to just spend a bunch of money and not get what I need. Does anyone have experienced recommendations on what to buy and from who? Best price to acceptable quality.

Replies19
  1. #1Mike L2014-06-19 11:11

    Mine came from Fastenal. Has 3 gauges 2 lines and a bunch of adaptors. Somewhere in the $500 range.

  2. #2Wino2014-06-19 11:20

    I was hoping for something in 150 dollar range, is that not realistic?

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-06-19 12:09

    If you are just testing the relief pressures a 5000psi gauge 1 hose and an adapter would be just fine. A liquid filled gauge is only about $12. I carry 150, 300, 600, 3000, 5000, and 10000psi gauges on my truck, but just for occasional use buy what you need at the time

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-06-19 13:19

    Should be no problem finding 1 or 2 gauges a 5000 and a 1000 psi will do at under 20 bucks each and get a hose made up in -4 size . Your local hyd store should be able to help you. Then you just need the right adapters to hook into the system.

  5. #5Wino2014-06-19 13:23

    Thank you, that's what I was wanting to know. As far as hose and fittings, are they hardware store items, or order them online?

  6. #6Delmer2014-06-19 15:20

    I'm not sure on an old 410 but the newer ones have flat face o-ring seals that aren't usually at hardware/farm stores. But any hydraulic shop should have them. Places that make custom hoses should be able to make you one hose that connects to the ports you need, just take the cap off the test port on the pump and bring it in to match. From your other post, I think you want to test the charge pressure on the pump, that pressure is under 200psi so a 300 psi gauge would work, but test it with at least a 3,000 psi gauge first, then you won't ruin your low pressure gauge if you have the wrong one. You are familiar with oil injection injury to skin right?

  7. #7Mobiltech2014-06-19 15:25

    If you can find a local hydraulic hose repair shop go there

  8. #8mikebramel2014-06-19 18:57

    I don't know what 410 you have but if you get a 1/8" male NPT x 1/4" male JIC 1/4" male NPT x 1/4" male JIC 1/4" ORB x male JIC 3/8" ORB x male JIC 1/4" NPT female union (to connect gauge to hose) 04-04FJ-04MP-100" hose you should have what you need for port testing

  9. #9wrwtexan2014-06-19 19:58

    For those do it yourselfers with the ability and tools, my hydraulic shop will give me all the old hoses and ends they throw away, which the ends can be cut off of and brazed into whatever configuration you might need. I've made many adapters from my pile of junk instead of going to buy them.

  10. #10Wino2014-06-19 20:04

    Thank you for all the info. I am familiar with hydraulic safety, I'm a licensed aviation mechanic. Sounds like I can get buy on the cheap side, which is nice for a change

  11. #11Andrew_D2014-06-19 22:25

    Not too many aviation items are found on the cheap side I bet!! Andrew

  12. #12Wino2014-06-19 23:00

    Definitely no money breaks in aviation! Lol

  13. #13nowing752014-06-20 13:28

    Hey wino you got to PIA near Pittsburgh for your a&p? I get a lot from discount hydraulics online.

  14. #14chroniekon2014-06-20 14:06

    If the test ports are the same size as the 310, it's a 3/8-inch - 24 UNF

  15. #15Awhelan2014-06-20 17:15

    That's what i use with my 410. Got the gauge from NAPA - 3000psi and told them that's what I needed on the end and they made the hose up for me. I think it was like 30-$45 total.

  16. #16Wino2014-06-21 16:46

    Sure did! I got my avionics before I went there, I believe I started in 4th quarter.

  17. #17nowing752014-06-21 21:09

    I graduated in 91. Sad but heavy equipment mec pays better the a&p. you bend wrenches as an a&p out there?

  18. #18Wino2014-06-21 21:58

    No, I make wine now, hence the (wino) handle. I used to work for Pratt & Whitney in Columbus GA. At there engine test facility. I do miss clocking out at the end of the day! lol happier doing my own thing now, I own Glatz Wine Cellars, we're right outside Pittsburgh, if your ever out this way, stop in for a tour and drink!

  19. #19nowing752014-06-22 01:22

    Might do that my dad lives in plum.