Alright so theres a new volvo 220D excavator coming and am not sure about which coupler. I've always had and use hydraulic wedge style coupler and thats what everyone use around here. but have had some problems with that style due to operator error so I'm looking for input on which everyone likes better. This machine will also be getting a 32'' prolink thumb. Have been looking at AMI pin and wedge or? quick coupler does need a lifting lug on it for sewer and water work. so lets hear it/
i have always been partial to JRB pin grabbers myself. very sturdy, very simple, and they give you the ability to reverse your bucket.
We have always used Cat wedge locks and we are getting a Volvo coupler on our new machine. We have always stayed away from pin grabbers because of the drastic change in tip radius. I have looked at the AMI thumbs and couplers and was impressed with what I saw. Chris
We have a JRB wedge lock and 2 easco pin grabers. I much prefer the pin grabber. They give you more options when buying attachments and they also tend to take the slop out of the bucket if the pins are a little worn.
I also looked at the JRB pin grabber looks good but am curious as to what are some ups and downs are on pin grabbers.
The biggest drawback to pin grabbers is the change in tip radius. You loose break out force and often the bucket will now hit the boom and sometimes the cab itself depending in your stick length. Cat even says you should not use a pin grabber for heavy rock or demo work. Chris
Does anyone have any specific brands they like? I know this changes region to region. My current two excavators have hyd. wedge(WBM) but have recently had problems and it takes a bit to get parts. I tried a Craig hyd. wedge and liked it real light and worked awesome just no lifting lug on coupler and i hate seeing guys lifting manholes down with the bucket on.