Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydrogen conversion

KTRasch · 2024-09-16 18:42

I'm looking for insight on converting a diesel engine to use hydrogen. Our company has a technology to convert natural gas to hydrogen and carbon and want to convert diesel generators to utilize the available hydrogen produced.

Replies12
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-09-16 23:06

    If it was easy, many would have done it already.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-09-17 00:06

    UNSW in Australia has done a lot of research on dual fuel Hydrogen/Diesel. But, it’s not economical or practical. It’s been researched, documented and written about for decades. So, you don’t have to start from scratch. Matter of fact, I know where there are dozens of 6.25” bore nattygas Caterpillars you can get for scrap price. Since that folly didn’t pan out. But, you do you, Bou. You can be the guy that makes it work. I’m pulling for ya.

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-09-17 06:10

    https://www.cummins.com/engines/hydrogen

  4. #4chidog2024-09-17 18:09

    Spark ignition would be better suited for H2 operation than CI engines. You need some other fuel to light off the H2 in a diesel engine. So either like Coaldust says dual fuel complexity. Or changing diesels to spark plugs, etc etc. Hydrogen, only safe way I can see dealing with that, is to convert it on demand. That is very small quantities, and not using a holding tanks like for liquid fuels or gaseous fuels like propane. Also H2 leaks very very easy, since it is the smallest element there is, scary stuff in a fuel tank. We already have a nice safe motor fuel, that comes from nature, mineral oil is what the real engineers call it rather than an agenda filled catch word. "Fossil fuel"

  5. #5terex herder2024-09-17 22:01

    I have the technology to convert natural gas directly into motive power, no energy wasting hydrogen conversion necessary. Save your hydrogen for fuel cells.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-09-18 06:15

    There is a endless supply of crude oil, I don't think we're burning near what we should nor fast enough.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-09-18 13:17

    Oil can be re-refined too.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-09-18 22:20

    Yes it can----454's, 460's, 440's and that wonderful mileage maker the 500 cube Caddy, time fly's when your burn 'in gas, need to turn the page back to land yachts and elvis suits.

  9. #9chidog2024-09-18 23:39

    Thats all nothin, lets talk, gallon plus a second burned, jet liners, and 6000 plus flights a day in the US.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-09-18 23:50

    I can't quite remember but I think fighter jets can use a 1/4 ton of fuel just on take off. Could be even more though.

  11. #11Truck Shop2024-09-19 05:57

    nothing you say----x how many million vehicles?

  12. #12chidog2024-09-19 13:44

    Auto motive efficiency is a joke. Back in my early teens, there were some very quick ways in this whole area I've lived, to efficiently drive, and avoid traffic, as well as way less stop lights. The shopping centers had the whole parking lot areas that accessed the roads, so you never got stuck behind some nut that could not figure out how to drive and enter the road. Now all that nice area is replaced with side walks and tree planters, with only a few options to escape and enter the roads. This and other such things have been done to meter the cars out, and cause more time sitting and burning gas, this has been done everywhere not just one place. What used to take 5 minutes or so to go there now takes over 30 some minutes or more depending on traffic. That is like designed in inefficiency, to slow us all up and purposely use more fuel. I think to make everyone desire mass transit.