Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

hydrostatic pilot solenoid

quiksilvr · 2023-01-06 23:32

i have a 226b and im trying to troubleshoot a problem that includes locating the hydrostatic pilot solenoid. can someone tell or show me where it is located on the machine. any help is much appreciated.

Replies29
  1. #1Nige2023-01-07 10:48

    Based on your past performance I expected better TBH. Where's the S/N.? Don't worry I tracked it down from your thread regarding the thumbwheel roller switch. Also don't you already have the electrical schematic.? That should show the location on the machine views. See Page 3 of the schematic, RH side about half way down. The locations on the schematic & machine are hyperlinks. Physically on the machine you can confirm you are looking at the correct component by checking the wire colours/numbers on the machine harness connected to it.

  2. #2quiksilvr2023-01-07 18:48

    i had no idea it was called "implement pilot". thnk you

  3. #3Nige2023-01-07 19:31

    I have to apologize, the pilot solenoid valve for the drive system is mounted on the base of the pilot valve directly under the speed/direction control joystick. It's referred to as the "transmission solenoid" (XMSN SOL) on the schematic, Grid H-3, machine location 20. The hyperlinks for it are 5 lines in the table on Page 3 below the Implement Pilot Solenoid.

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-01-08 02:14

    Sometimes knowing what components are called is as much a problem as the problem they are causing. My dad used to chuckle when one of his good friends/customers sent his dad for parts. My dad knew a lot but it can be hard to decipher what the "You know, that thing-a-ma-jig under that whatcha ma call it that's kind of hard to see?" Good thing my dad had full parts manuals for all the machines he sold. He said it was frustrating some times, especially if he was busy.

  5. #5quiksilvr2023-01-08 17:19

    got it fixed, it was the detent coil. hey nigel, what is the detent coil for/do?

  6. #6Nige2023-01-08 18:16

    From the SysOp regarding the function of the joystick - "When the control lever is in the HOLD position, the oil will not flow through pilot valve. Centering springs cause the control lever for the work tool to return to the HOLD position whenever the control lever for the work tool is released from any of the positions except for the FLOAT position . The FLOAT position has a detent that keeps the control lever for the work tool in this position until the operator moves the control lever for the work tool into a different position." That's the function of the detent coil.

  7. #7quiksilvr2023-01-08 18:41

    perfect thank you sir

  8. #8AustinC2023-11-14 17:50

    How did you confirm is was the detent coil? I'm currently having the same issue where I'm following trouble shooting steps to test resistance on the "hydrostatic pilot solenoid" and the "work tool pilot solenoid" but I'm not sure where they are located. I'm thinking my issue is the detent coil as well.

  9. #9Mobilewrench2023-11-14 19:15

    I'm confused. What does the work tool detent coil have to do with the hydrostatic pilot solenoid?

  10. #10AustinC2023-11-14 21:32

    If you read quiksilvr comments above, he mentions he is following trouble shooting steps - "I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem that includes locating the hydrostatic pilot solenoid" A few comments later he mentions that he got the problem fixed and that it was the detent coil. I'm currently following trouble shooting steps that mention the step of locating the hydrostatic pilot solenoid. I attached the steps I'm following for reference. I'm leaning towards my detent coil being the issue so I was curious on how he confirmed it was the detent coil.

  11. #11Nige2023-11-15 05:43

    It's all there in the posts above. The solenoids (implement detent and hystat pilot) are mounted one under each joystick base assembly LH & RH. I think that it is highly unlikely an implement detent solenoid has anything whatsoever to do with a propel issue. Maybe you need to start with some basics. A machine Serial Number gets you an electrical schematic in case you don't already have one. Also a bit of background info would help. The attachment you posted above is from a very old version of SIS and may well have been superceded or be different for your particular S/No. Who knows.?

  12. #12AustinC2023-11-15 09:46

    Hi Nige, thanks for the reply. To add some context, I can start my machine and run it, once I get out of the seat the parking brake and arm rest light are flashing and the machine wont move. I've tried running a jumper wire for the seat switch but I still get both lights flashing. I've looked over the wiring harness and don't see any major rub spots. The detent solenoid (part number 172-0970) did have some rubbing though so that's why I mentioned it previously. My machine serial number is CAT0226BAMJH08353. I attached the electrical schematic that I've been referencing but I'm not sure if it's the correct one for my serial number. I also attached an image of the serial numbers covered for the 226B but it looks like mine could be outside of the parameters. Do you have advice on where I could find the correct schematic for my serial number if this is the wrong one?

  13. #13Nige2023-11-15 12:06

    It's the right publication reference, just two generations old. The latest version is -06, not that it should matter much. I'll send you a copy.

  14. #14AustinC2023-11-15 12:27

    Got it. Thank you! As far as the Trouble Shooting steps for the "Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing" do you know where I can find the most recent version? Attaching the one I'm currently following for reference.

  15. #15Nige2023-11-15 12:34

    Here's the latest version of the troubleshooting. Like the schematic it may be the same as the document you already have. If you want to check resistance on the solenoid coils there are tables of specifications on Page 1 of the electrical schematic.

  16. #16AustinC2023-11-15 12:48

    Thank you again, I appreciate your time.

  17. #17Mobilewrench2023-11-15 18:49

    Quoting myself here. I think I see where I got confused. The OP didn't actually list the symptoms. He asked where the hydrostatic solenoid was and then decided that the detent coil (on the other joystick) was his issue. I should have realized that he was troubleshooting an interlock problem. Only really figured that out because AustinC hijacked the thread. Not dissing you, AustinC. In this case I am glad you did, because it cured my confusion. In general, though... It is kind of bad form to hijack a thread. It confused the people who are trying to help you and it makes it harder to help the original poster. Nige would have given you the same info. I would have also, but Nige always beats me to it. I like to think it is because I am in Hawaii. Honestly, I think it is because Nige is some sort next generation AI. He is part of the matrix. (27,143 messages?!?!). I bet that number goes up before I can hit the "post reply" button.

  18. #18AustinC2023-11-15 18:58

    Not sure how I hijacked this thread but I'm glad you figured it out.

  19. #19Mobilewrench2023-11-15 19:00

    I edited my post. I think it is pretty funny.

  20. #20Hudsoca2024-10-19 12:43

    Having the same issue with parking brake and armrest lights blinking. CAI0287BA25A02406 Following the troubleshooting; I’m stuck on step 6 because there’s a short between pin 29 (XMSN SOL) to pin 24 (IMPL PILOT SOL). If the IMPL PILOT SOL and the XMSN SOL are connected to each solenoid, shouldn’t there be a short because each solenoid have the same COMMON (pin 68)? Test Step 6. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO THE + BATTERY TERMINAL A. Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 29 (wire H416-GN(Green)) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 24, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.

  21. #21Nige2024-10-19 13:43

    You're really on the wrong thread. This is now the 4th time this same issue (more or less) has come up in the past couple of weeks. This linked THREAD pretty well covers everything you might need, including all the documents. During the course of the diagnostic errors were found in the troubleshooting procedure that you need to be aware of. Specifically you need to read Posts #55, 56, & 58 on Page 3 and use that information with RENR6417. These errors relate to Step 6 which is the one you are having trouble with. You will need RENR6417-01, REHR6419-06, and the document on the Interlock electronic Control. You can download them from the same thread.

  22. #22Jointery2025-07-20 09:34

    I have an early (2000) 226 SN# 5FZ03535. Troubleshooting Interlock issue similar to this thread. Flashing seat and park light. After it starts… and i push park brake switch both lights flash. Current SIS2Go subscription and I’m confused by the wiring schematic vintage nomenclature. Attempting to identify the wiring diagram for my machine. Advice?

  23. #23Nige2025-07-20 09:56

    You need RENR2863-04 that covers all 5FZ-prefix machines up to S/N 5199, which includes yours. If you need a copy just ask, I'll send you one. I hope you took the time to read the thread I linked in Post #22 above in its entirety. It has a lot of useful information.

  24. #24Jointery2025-07-20 11:17

    Yes! These posts are VERY helpful! They point me in the right direction. Thank you so much. My machine will randomly not start (no ignition indicator lights or anything indicating power on) unless pressing a light switch…???. Can you say random…. And then 90% of the time- flashing safety & seat indicator. Interlock says no… From what I can tell, the large cab to upper chassis ground strap is completely broken. It appears the light switch may be back feeding ground to the ignition… Anyway, this is all very helpful information! I’ll update as we move through troubleshooting.

  25. #25Nige2025-07-20 11:35

    Did you locate the correct electrical schematic.?

  26. #26Jointery2025-07-20 12:00

    Yes I did. Thank you.

  27. #27Jointery2025-07-20 17:47

    Hello Nige, where would recommend that I (which thread) provide progress updates, pictures and questions?

  28. #28Nige2025-07-21 03:30

    To be honest, and because the problem with your machine may well turn out to be something different, I would suggest that you create a new thread and post all the information in that.

  29. #29Jointery2025-07-21 11:29

    Just pushed a new thread. ‘Cat 226 phantom electrical issue (flashing armrest & park brake lights)’ Thank you for the guidance Nige! Randy