Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyster H4.00Xls-6 no lift or tilt

Mobilewrench ยท 2023-01-12 22:37

Serial number is F5A7449J Machine steers and has hydraulic assist brake boosting that also works, but no lift or tilt on the carriage. The hydraulic pump has two outlets so the priority or proportional valving is in the pump. First thing I did was look at the main relief valve for carriage control valve block (4 valve block, but only two are piped to anything and attached to levers) the relief looked fine. Put a gauge on the hoist valve section and tried to lift the forks they actually moved a bit, I am not sure why. I only saw about 200 psi. But the motion was weak and jerky like the pump was cavitating. Pulled the hydraulic tank dipstick and yes, the oil is all aerated. The pick up is from the bottom of the tank and the tank was full. Checked the hose clamps on the suction side of the pump and they were tight. I happened to have my flow meter on the truck because I had a couple of hammers to look at today, so I thought I would go ahead and flow test it. But when I was plumbing in to the lift/tilt valve I decided I wanted to see what the oil coming out of the pump looked like. I don't know, maybe to make sure that the air wasn't being introduced on the return side. So I just pointed the hose back into the hydraulic tank and started the machine. Very sporadic sputtering of oil and mostly air. So where is all of this air coming from? I suppose that it might be from the suction line between the tank and pump. But the line seems intact. So is it sucking air through the pump shaft seals? I am thinking that it needs a new pump. I gauged the steering and brake side of the pump and when holding the steering to relief saw about 1400 psi. Think it is supposed to be closer to 2100psi. So, any opinions or insight are appreciated. And a part number for the pump would also be nice. Couldn't seem to find this model online. Cheers, HEF and thanks .

Replies2
  1. #1Mobilewrench2023-01-14 19:44

    Bump

  2. #2Mobilewrench2023-04-13 22:24

    It all came down to a suction screen. Plugged up suction screen made the pump blow out the seal on the pump shaft so it was sucking air through the seal. Weird, because before I drained the tank, the oil looked pretty good. It is a little embarrassing because this is not the first time that overlooking a suction screen has bitten me.