Hey all, I was just curious if anyone on here has seen something like this happen before... I have a Hyster H70FT that a couple of months ago kept throwing the stretch to fit belt. After the third one, I replaced the pulley that the fan mounts with. Yesterday it was brought to me for over heating and making a God awful racket. When I lifted the hood I found that the pulley was broken. Obviously I will be replacing it but I cant figure what would cause it to happen, other than manufacturing defect.
Curious... Stretch to fit belt? Not OEM or approved replacement. Why." Was same belt used as replacement the 3 times? Too much tension on the pulley flanges by a "warped/kinked" belt would tend stress the flange portion vs the hub face each rotation. A further back timeline might give us more insight.
Let me correct one thing, It didn't just throw the belt, it destroyed it. Yes, this unit uses stretch to fit belt for the fan and water pump, It has a second belt on crank pulley that solely runs the alternator, that belt is a standard type belt using the alternator as the tensioner. OEM belt was used first time, and approved aftermarket was used the next times. The belts seamed EXTREMELY TIGHT (I snapped the first one during install and using the correct tool)when put on, but Hyster swore up and down that that is the correct one. Even the approved aftermarket one was EXTREMELY TIGHT. lastly the unit is only a few years old and just had belt failure last November.
Then the belt it came with was the correct belt, and regardless of Hyster's oaths, the replacement OEM and the aftermarket (which was mfg. to the "new "spec) is wrong. Proof of too tight is .. It broke. What is the part number of the OEM belts you used and broke. Also the mfg and part number of the after mkt one. There is a reason I want the correct numbers off them
Go here, Complete the question block with your detail. Specifically ask if there is a standard and a stretcha ble variation in that part number. https://www.liftpartswarehouse.com/Articles.asp?ID=355
Any luck in getting any changed number? Curious if something is available.
Unfortunately, another tech repaired while I was off, said he he just got a belt from O'riely's and the unit hasn't had any more issues so far.