Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hyundai steer problem

wildhorse trnr ยท 2011-03-09 18:35

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted anything here but I have a puzzle I could use a hand with. I have a Hyundai HL-740-3 that has a steering issue, the unit will steer but it is very difficult and takes both arms to do. The pressure is OK, but it seems like something is causing the cylinders to work against themselves. I have no reference materials and very little experience with these units, mainly just engine rebuilds, nothing Hyundai related. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Replies5
  1. #1maytag2011-03-09 19:26

    steering issues I'm not sure how your machine is setup BUT you mentioned "cylinders working against themselves". Many many moons ago I had a similar issue with a piece of mobile equipment steering and the cylinders were plumbed wrong, both cylinders would extend or retract together and you could steer it but it as you said took both hands. Reversing 2 lines so one cylinder retracted while the other extended fixed the problem and you could steer with one finger. HTH, Tom

  2. #2wildhorse trnr2011-03-10 10:17

    Thanks, I will check that, I am waiting on a schematic from the dealer here so I can verify the routing of the lines.

  3. #3motrack2011-03-10 20:59

    Do your bakes work ok? Steering and brakes use the same hyd pump with steering having pirority over brakes.

  4. #4sheepfoot2011-03-11 19:08

    Wildhorse, I would remove the priority valve, it controls steering first and sends extra oil to the main control valve, it sounds like the orifice is plugged or the spool my be stuck, it takes about 30 min to remove/check/install. the valve has three parts spool/orifice/spring, orifice has a real small hole and will stop up with a sliver of trash, the valve is mounted on a bracket, find your hyd pump, it has a small pump then the main pump,the rear 2nd section pressure line goes to the priority valve, follow it to the p valve, it's about the size of your hand and has two bolts that hold it to the bracket along with the several hyd lines, hope this helps you out ! if not let us know

  5. #5Autocar4002023-08-18 19:57

    Hello, I just got n on a 770 loader that is having the same steering issue however the brakes do not work and they ran it without brakes until the steering started having issues. The filters in the hydraulic tank are full of aluminum it looks like. Any thoughts on where the metal might be from. They changed the hydraulic pump but the old one looks ok well not messed up enough to account for the amount metal in the filter