Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

I-Beam span rating?

EGS ยท 2011-01-30 20:16

My father-in-law and myself have been building a new shop. He would like to put a I-beam across the center of the ceiling to mount a trolley and chain fall. The building was designed with this in mind. When we poured the footings we made them a little wide at that spot so we could put post's upright to help support the beam. We also matched up two trusses right above where the beam will be mounted. So the beam will be held up on the outside's and from above by the truss's My question is he wants the beam to hold 2,000 LBS in the center and it will be 25 FT wide. How big of a beam do we need? I will get some pictures tomorrow.

Replies16
  1. #1stock2011-01-30 22:55

    superbeam

  2. #2Greg2011-01-31 08:30

    I could size it for you but there is one big problem. If somebody decides to over load it at some time and down it comes I don't want to be in the middle of it, and sooner or later somebody will do it.

  3. #3norite2011-02-01 02:10

    I recommend you consult with a professional engineer and have him calculate it for you. I don't think anyone qualified would want to do this for you here due to liability reasons and their expectation of being paid for their service. Also if some annonymous person did this for you here, what assurance would you have that they are correct?

  4. #4Greg2011-02-01 08:42

    That is me. Engineer here. Liability is why I stay away from it. My engineering is limited to what I do on my own jobs or for myself.

  5. #595zIV2011-02-01 13:22

    EGS, Are you putting a bought lift on it? If you are, I would think that maybe they would have a recommendation for it.

  6. #6EGS2011-02-01 14:17

    A good friend of mine is in the local elevator union. He has a table that gives the span ratings for I-beam lengths. I will post it on here when it stops snowing and I get more time.

  7. #7EGS2011-02-01 14:20

    We are putting a trolley on it that I got from a friend of mine. It is rated for 10 ton. It is real old, older even then ATCO.

  8. #8CM19952011-02-01 19:22

    The real question is: "Is it older than Grandpa..." We know it's not older than digger, they didn't make much of anything before he was born.

  9. #9grandpa2011-02-01 19:44

    Looks like i'm gonna have to conjure up a snow storm fro Costa Rica..... Now that would be some feat....hmmmmmmm

  10. #10Tiny2011-02-01 19:46

    It Is not older than Grandpa...... Grandpa gave God the recipe for dirt !!

  11. #11Greg2011-02-02 07:04

    Alright here now!!!! Respect for your elders you darn kids. I don't know how old Grandpa is here but I bet he is not that far ahead of me!!!

  12. #12EGS2011-06-15 18:28

    Here is what we came up with. I think it turned out fairly well.

  13. #13hvy 1ton2011-06-15 19:03

    Buwhaha. That's a good one.

  14. #14CM19952011-06-15 21:41

    Looks good EGS, that's a fine shop.:thumbsup What size beam did you end up going with?

  15. #15grandpa2011-06-16 06:01

    Gentleman, be nice to me or I will have CM 1995 put some kinda voodoo on you!!!! Bwah ha hhahha if he could break away from the sand beaches of Costa Rica to do so work........ha ha.

  16. #16EGS2011-06-19 22:53

    It is a 12" beam, it should be good for 2,000lb. in the center. We used it a couple of times and it seems pretty stout. The shop is 36'x36' with 18' side walls. The only thing left to do is hang the steel on the ceiling. I think he might have them spray a few more inches of foam insulation in the rafters.