I have been at the hospital having my 3rd little girl so I have read a ton of the posts on this forum but I still have a ton of questions We just bought some land - 6to 8 acres of it we want to clear for pasture and a housesite. We have a little farm road through the woods that needs a little tlc as well. We have a tooth bucket and a pretty heavy duty grapple rake. I have taken a few trees down - our biggest tree is about 10-12 inches I know it will not just push that over - I have taken down up to about a 5 inch tree. My question here is it has been pretty muddy when I have been out there but I can't get the rake to dig to remove any roots at all - should it dig at all or am I doing something wrong Another question is about the road. I know I can move some dirt around but I want to have an idea about what my final result will be. I am smart enough to know that water runs down hill but where do I start when I am thinking about what to do to fix the road - do I start at the lowest point or what - I'm sure that each job is different but is there a place that you always start. We have a little mud hole that we need to try to fix - we also have a couple of places that have about a 1-2 foot washout/rut thanks for helping a new guy out aj
this will show you how much I know I have a 751 instead of a 753 aj
Welcome to the forum prosncons, and congrats on the new baby. :usa I'm not an operator, not much advice on how to deal with the roots, but I don't know that a grapple on a 751 is going to do much rooting anyway. As for the road, I don't know that it matters where you start, just start working it, you'll figure out how to shape the road as you go. If the terrain is forcing water to concentrate at an area and go across road and make ruts, you may have to make a catch basin there and install a culvert across road. You may have a few places where you need rip rap rock to line ditches to control erosion and control the speed of water runoff. Keep us posted of your work, and pics are really nice to have to show off your work.
I don't know much about the grapple but I will try to help you with the road. If I was doing it I would first dig out any ruts and fill them in small lifts to pack it in then I would work on grading it out. I prefer to crown the road instead of terraces, but they both work. As far as were to start I would start at the beging and work till the end.