Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at newer machine tracks or tires?

wheeliewebb ยท 2010-02-06 18:54

looking at a S130 2500hrs for 10,900 2005 and a 2003 T190 1700 hours for 12,500 both machines are about the same condition(paint,looks,tires,etc..) I mainly use my machine for cutting wood and splitting it. I will be running machine in a woods a lot. Any cons or pros to either machine? Is there more maintenance and up keep with tracks? What are these machines weak points that i should be looking for?

Replies1
  1. #1bpogue2010-02-06 20:48

    The tracks will give you better flotation in the woods. This could be and advantage when it is muddy and provide better traction in the leaves. However, I don't like rubber tracks in the woods. If you start spinning around against a stump, you are liable to lose the track. It probably wouldn't hurt it, just waste your time putting it back on. In my opinion, the best option is a tire machine with steel tracks over the tires for in the woods work. You are highly unlikely to break anything and will get better traction in those conditions.