Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ice? in hydraulic fluid

imtools ยท 2013-02-16 06:59

Hey guys, my hydraulics are real slow in cold weather until the machine warms up (about 1/2 hour at around 25 degrees F). And the speed comes back pretty quick so I don't think it's just a viscosity thing. I assume it's from ice due to water condensing over time in the sump. How can I reduce/prevent the condensation and how can I remove the water that's already in there? I tried draining some of the oil figuring that water being heavier would come out first but it didn't seem to work that way. Can't afford to replace 30 gallons of oil very often. (restored Bobcat 825).

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2013-02-16 07:49

    I'm not sure it is condensation, especially based on your comments about the attempt at draining water from the bottom of the tank. What viscosity of hydraulic oil are you running..?

  2. #2crewchief8882013-02-16 10:26

    what did the oil look like that you drained? milky looking? if you do have water in the system, and it's been there for a long time, it will probably never seperate to the point it will drain out. could be your oil viscosity, what are you using for hyd oil? cheap universal tractor fluid? bobcat oil? :drinkup