What do you guys think about the mini x thumbs on ebay, it seems you just match up the weight of the machine to the thumb. I was thinking of putting a valve on the boom hyd. connection to run the thumb, so i could switch inbetween the 2. This will be on a PC50-uu-1. Thanks
I am not thumb expert but was steered away from them by a friend who is. A company who is local and builds them said something along the line of "well with the thumb being made in India and them mounts added for your machine" which I took he was not impressed. This was two different people. I found a local shop who made many of the local thumbs and for me was about same price as ebay but they ended up only being two miles from me so it worked very well. Plus they were able to weld it on with no hauling of machine and such. My suggestion, ask those with excavators there who builds their thumbs and if local talk with them. Now saying all that mine broke but they did a great repair.
USA attachment in winston-salem NC has a good selection. I have one on my pc40 manual not hydro. but money well spent. Ive loaded roll-off dumpsters and my tandem dump with mine. they advertise on ebay. I would use them again they have buckets, quick connects etc. and made in USA.
Like Kthompson said...Find a good company locally. I've seen thumbs guys bought from ebay or wherever. Made of cheap steel, the cylinder was not installed straight tines do not line up properly with bucket. Some hit the teeth some pass between the teeth. Poor design regarding cylinder port location and size.
what can i do since i dont have aux hyd. connection, make a valve to connect into the swing bppm or run from the pump, sny other ideas?
I'm in the same boat looking for attachments and got this quote from a local manufacturer, I think the prices are up there, especially the thumb price??? What do you guys think? ....................................................................................................... Good afternoon, Sorry for the delay, we have been having some trouble with our internet connection for the past couple of days. The prices your were looking for are as follows Cat 302.5 1) Quick Coupler $950.00 2) 12โ Digging Bucket c/w 3 Cat 40 style teeth $1305.00 3) 24โ Digging Bucket c/w 4 Cat 40 style teeth $1485.00 4) 36โ Clean Up Bucket c/w Smooth Lip $1210.00 5) Direct Link Hyd. Thumb c/w 2 tines $3960.00 All of our attachments are Heavy Duty. Please call if you have any questions. Thank you, ACCURATE Fabricating Ltd. Superior Excavator Attachments 12875 85th Avenue Surrey B.C. V3W OK8 Ph: 604-591-6184 Fax: 604-591-5875 Cell: 604-818-8929 www.accuratefabricating.com
First I have a 5 ton Volvo, model EC 45. Not sure how close that is to your machine and very much size cost. About 1 1/2 years back paid $800 for thumb and installation. It is not a hyd thumb but totally mechanical. Really like it and as was pointed out the teeth on the bucket and the thumb close between each other very neatly. About May or April of this year bought a 30" bucket by D&E near Charleston SC for about $700. My machine does not have quick disconnect on the buckets if that affects price.
How hard is it to tap the pump for another line?
hi i am macking hydro thumb for my 3 ton hitachi knuckle boon, i started it today 22 oct 2009 going ok so far.
i am tapping in to the knuckle ram pipes with a three way flow diverter valve. you can tap in to your (dozer blade) with a three way valve
what vavle are you using?
a uniline three way 3/8 block valve, did you get a thumb yet do you think it would work on the dozer blade, you could switch over and back as you wanted
i was thinking of using the off set boom cyliner, but the blade would work also, it may be better, i don;t know. I have not got a thumb yet
did not know you had off set, my 30 is off set i am using off set pipes with block valves fited on them, floor pedle for off set should work the thumb i should be finished making and welding my thumb in a day or two.
I would of thought that you should use the control/lever (either blade or offset) which is easiest to use repeatedly and allows you the most control/smoothness. I tend to find that I foot pedals are more all or nothing as far as speed goes whereas a dozer blade lever offers more control.