Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Identify Poclain Excavator

ippielb ยท 2015-04-27 00:48

that's the only numbers a guy can find. He says it's a late 70's excavator. Tracks. Probably 30 ton range. Duetz engine. We are going to purchase it but would like to know the model number to see f we can track down an owners manual and to get parts. Price is very good. Basically what I know is these excavators were imported from France, like to overheat unless the doors open in hotter weather, like to leak fluids, but are strong and last for ever. That and case used these as their excavators for a while.

Replies2
  1. #1John C.2015-04-27 23:13

    Looks like a 220. I forget the letters that preceded the numbers. They used automatic transmission fluid also. You can't weld on the pipes and you need lots of big end wrenches to tighten fittings twice a week to keep the leakage below and drum a week. They were the first 4,000 PSI hydraulic system in an excavator that I know of and the seal technology just wasn't there at that time. I learned to love cutting those machines into little pieces and throwing the pieces in the scrap barrels.

  2. #2ippielb2015-05-01 03:41

    After using google, i think i've figured out it's a Poclain SC150. Not many had the step below the cab. And i read a lot of people are having problems with hydraulic leaks. Something about a special blue hydraulic fluid. That and the controls are crazy with levers everywhere and a foot pedals for bucket control? I don't think my dad would enjoy using it. I'll have to talk to him about it.