Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ih 3500 a tlb

chask ยท 2010-08-13 13:42

Hi out there, 1974 Hoe (3152) suddenly stopped swinging left. It will inch over at VERY HIGH RPM. Swings to the right normal ,even @ idle. & pwr. strg. is OK removed the 3 valves related to SWING, inspected (OK), & re-installed. No high pressure test equip. or shop anywhere around. 1. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of this failure you can pass on for advice? 2. Do the large reservoir swing cans have valves,checks,o-ring inside to inspect? 3. Does the swing can on the LEFT side pull the hoe left, or push it right? I will appreciate ANY & ALL comments THANX chask

Replies11
  1. #1Mikefromcny2010-08-15 01:50

    Not sure how your swing is setup, is it possible the packings in that particular cyling are shot and is bypassing? I had a little Allis Chalmers tractor with a loader, it would barely pick up a load of snow. Pulled boom cylinders apart and literally found the the packings wadded up at the bottom of the tube. Just a thought. -Mike

  2. #2tuney4432010-08-15 04:32

    I had a 3820 TLB once and I seem to remember I believe that the 3500 and 3600 hoes were similiar.If so,there's sequence valves that need adjusting from time to time.I always had IH do it but you basically adjust each valve with a volume beaker and a watch.

  3. #3chask2010-08-15 08:02

    Hi Mike, i'm not sure how this boom swing works inside the large can housings either.. i'm waiting for an exploded parts manual to arrive. i know its not chain driven, & NOT external ram cylinders (like the Case). thanx anyway. chask Hi Tuney443, do you recall where the Sequence valves would be located on this 3500 ? thanx for the hint. chaz

  4. #4tuney4432010-08-15 12:22

    Chask--If you have a ''swing motor'',then that's a completely different animal than my 2 swing cylinder type.It must have been just the 3600 model that was identical to my 3820.Good luck.Cornbinders always had the bad rap of problematic swing problems and being leakers.I had a friend with a 3514 who actually had an ingenious method of catching his dripping and re-introducing the Hy-tran back into the system.I bought enough Hy-tran that I should have invested in IH stock.

  5. #5amunderdog2010-08-15 12:31

    The old JD TLB's used the big swing (can) motor also. They were junk when they worked correctly.

  6. #6chask2010-08-15 13:06

    hey tuney443, that;s really bad news that these machines are known for swing problems. well, ratspit ! at least it's not marking it's territory the way my Harley is. and amunderdog, well that was encouraging.. do you know of any repair concepts when these canned motors AREN'T working ?? THANX for the git-backs anyway. chask

  7. #7chask2010-08-16 11:33

    Ih 3500 a tlb, swing problem one way HI OUT THERE, THIS IS RELATED TO MY PREVIOUS POSTING TITLED "ih 3500a tlb". IS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THE TYPICAL FAILURE MODE OF THE BIG CAN SWING MOTORS ON THIS HOE ? WILL I EXPECT TO FIND BAD O RINGS OR PACKINGS?, CAN THESE MOTORS BE NORMALLY REPAIRED AT HOME, OR DO THEY HAVE TO BE REPLACED? AFTER LOOKING AT OTHER STUFF i'M GUESSING ONE OF THE 2 MOTORS QUIT OR BROKE. IN ORDER TO INSPECT THE CORRECT MOTOR,- I'M TRYING TO FIND OUT: ": DOES THE CAN ON THE LEFT SIDE (AS YOU'RE OPERATING THE HOE) PULL THE BOOM LEFT, OR PUSH IT RIGHT ?? I"M SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE, IF EVEN ON ANOTHER HOE WITH CAN MOTORS, LIKE ON OLD JD. SEND ME A NOTE IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT & THANKS PLENTY...

  8. #8Orchard Ex2010-08-16 18:36

    chask, I merged your new thread into this original one. Having more than one thread on any problem is too confusing. No one will know which one to post in too help you. Please keep all the discussion in this one thread. Also, please don't post all in caps. It's considered shouting on the net. Generally posts in all caps will be deleted, but since you're new you get a pass this time. Welcome to HEF!

  9. #9chask2010-08-16 20:15

    Orchard Ex, thanks for doing that. i wanted to but didn't figure it out. Oh and the caps thing, I wanted us really old guys to be able to read it easier. didn't mean to be rude.. thanx...

  10. #10davidd2010-08-18 20:23

    Hey Chask No problem with the all caps. I think all caps is a lot easier to read, but sometime in the past some computer geeks decided that all caps was shouting. Well who ever heard of such. Many things like that catch on and last forever. To make things a little easier for all to read just click on the bold feature and it will be much easier for these tired old eyes. As for the backhoe I have no idea. Mine is a JD 310. Good luck with finding the problem. There is some good help on this forum David d.

  11. #11chask2010-08-23 13:20

    ih 3500A tlb-one way swing problem consider this thread/posting CLOSED. couple of folks solved my problem from another forum. THANX for the conversations anyway. CHASK