I wonder if any kiwis can recall the IH TD30 dozers that were brought into NZ late 60's early 70's...for I remember an earthworks site that was being done on our neighbours place in Kerikeri....on site was a TD 25...TD15 and a TD30 ...which stood out because a mural of the TV series Atom Ant was drawn on the side of the machine....I've had all my photos destroyed by fire back in 1988...so I would be very appreciative of any such photos....I'm pretty sure the contractor was Nelson Bros...but not sure..Ray
Td 30 Allen Mills from Rotorua and Waikato Earthmovers from Cambridge had several TD 30s each, not sure how many others came into NZ as well. I was an operator for G A Renner in Tauranga for many years from the late 60s on and they a ended up with an ex Mills TD 30 which was later traded in for a new TD15 c. The last I heard of the TD30 it was up Dargaville way, unfortunately I dont have photos of it, may have been the one you saw in Kerikeri.
Andrews Earthmovers from Rotorua had a TD-30 on a job site that I worked on in Wellington - the Police training college site. They had quite a bit of trouble with the cooling system as I recall. When it was going seemed to be quite adequate. You certainly knew when it was behind your TS-14 - way more grunt than the D8H's on site. I have one photo of it which I will attempt to dig out for you.
John Pavan had a number of International machines working on his developments around the Northern Suburbs of Wellington. Although they haven't worked for more than 20 years most are still parked up in Johnsonville and Crofton Downs. Among them are some of these dozers, Payscrapers and a converted compactor. There is also a Birtley scoop. Will try and get some photos to post.
Td30 Allen Mills had one when they did the kopu Hikuai road here, and there was rumoured to be a 2nd one there too, possibly Mills or belonging to horowhenua eathworks on hire to Mills; but not sure about this second TD30. I know they had alot of trouble with it and was a inferior machine compared to the D9G of Green and McCahills on the same job. There was a powershift TD30 out at a limeworks near limestone downs in the waikato in the mid 90s, but don,t know who owned it or what happened to it. Be interesting to know how many came to NZ and if any are still alive. Cheers Merv:drinkup
Found It Andrews Earthmoving IH TD-30 at the Police training college site, Wellington, March 1975. Its down with cooling system problems. I snapped this from a passing TS-14. Pronto - would love to see some of the John Pavan IH gear. I remember stubling on them parked up in Crofton Downs. The compactor conversion you mention was a really rare beast - a TD-18 with the track frames removed. There was also a TD-24 and a very early TD-25 on site with the logo "Muir" on the side.
I will go for a drive today and get some pictures. Hopefully they are not too overgrown, or succumbed to the high scrap prices last year....
Thanks guys for the photos-never seen any of td30's Bring them on!!! Neil
Pos? I´ve heard some people in this forum, e.g Deas Plant describe the TD30 as a real POS! I could be curious about what kind of problems it had, making such a bad reputation for it. Cooling problems are mentioned here, maybe some final drive bugs?
Hi Hjolli, Biggest problem was the transmission. IH were trying to take on Cat with a product that they just didn't do enough testing with before releasing to the public. The end result ws a disaster with the transmission sometimes only lasting hours before packing up (on new machines). They eventually got it sirted but the damage was done by then and customers stayed away. Production life of the TD-30 was short. It was meant to be a D9 size tractor. Pity as the TD-25 was a pretty reliable tractor. We had several in our fleet.. Pronto - I appreciate your trouble. Hope you get some good shots :drinkup
The finals were also weak and couldn't stand the high horsepower. In 1971 I went into the old H.W. Moore dealership in Denver and they had a row of about twenty or more TD30's that were in various stages of repair. Many of these never moved again untill they were scrapped out.
I guess the td30 did not pan out.I wounder what history will say about the new td40.They have had time to figure out any problems with the machine.If its anything like a overgrown td25 I will take take one.
IH Dozers Parked up Crofton Downs - NZ These are some shots of the three IH dozers parked up at Crofton Downs. They are owned by John Pavan, a developer that was active in the area during the '60's and '70's. I don't think they have moved since the early '80's. At this location there are also 3 Payscrapers. 2 complete and 1 in parts. There was no sign of the compactor, made from the converted dozer. He also has another site in Johnsonville with 3 more IH dozers. Will post those separately.
IH Dozers Parked Up Johnsonville This is the other site with the IH equipment parked up. These machines do get out occaisionally to tidy up the subdivision, clearing gorse etc. It seems the smaller of the machines must have been operating recently as there was a lot of work done above the depot area. The larger dozer with the winch is set-up to pull the Birtley Scoop, pictured. Would be interesting to see if anyone had any pictures of this gear operating in their heyday.
That is some great old iron,I have never seen a td30 in person.Look like some went to New Zealand.At least most of them are sheaded.I think I see an allis chalmers hd 21 setting on the right side of the shovle.I bet whith new batteries and a shot of either they would fire up.Thanks for the pictures.
Hi Pronto, Thanks very much for taking the time & trouble to get those photos:notworthy I got some shots one day back in 1975 (when I wasn't operating the TS-14) of Pavan's gear parked up at Crofton Downs. Will try to dig them out then post. I think they are black & white prints. 25C - Yes, I'm pretty sure that is an Allis-Chalmers poking its nose out of the shed. It could be either an HD-16 or HD-21 but I'm sure I got a shot of it too way back then. Watch this space !!
TD30 how many Hi Guys IH records show between 1955 and 1981 there were 55 TD15b - 70 TD15c - 65 BTD20 - 48 TD20 - 64 TD24 - 83 TD25 - and 6 TD30 a couple of webb pics cheers malcolm
I was talking to an old Wellington identity who operated for Fouhy, Maher and Thompson, among others and asked him if he had any pictures of the earthworks around the region. He is going to dig some out so I will post these too. Will ask him about Pavan's projects. I think one of the last jobs he completed was in the near Elsdon for Housing Corporation.
Ih Thanks for pics Pronto. Why does this guy have all this gear just parked up ? You,d think he,d sell it; or at least run it a couple of times a year; at least its under cover. I take it john Pavan didnt like caterpillars as is none there Thanks for that info Malcom, I was suprised there was 65 BTD20,s and 64 TD24,s come here. Theres very few left. Ive never seen a BTD20 here and only 2 TD24s. The TD15s and 25s were very popular and you still see alot around. Out of curiosity anyone know how many HD11s and D6Cs sold here compared to the 125 TD15s. Thanks for the info and pics keep it coming. Merv:drinkup
He was a prolific developer back in the day with at least two big subdivisons created. Both just seemed to stop late 70's and nothing has happened since. He had a land bank and roads constructed so has been slowly selling sections since. The machines in Johnsonville are run up occaisionally and seem to get a hand paint when required - except for the Birtley scoop, which has really deteriorated outside. The scrapers and dozers in Crofton have been left and are now quite grown over with gorse etc. They are in slightly better conditions away from the salt breeze off the harbour.
Road Transport and Contracting Great to see all the posts...and that topic has created some interest. ..Enclosing a copy of advert in the Oct 62 edition of Road Transport and Contracting....resembles similiar to machine that I recall but with a bush cab.... Malcolm thanks for the numbers listed of IH dozers...can you recall the number of TD30's that had a cable blade
man you guys always find the coolest toys up you neck of the woods was talking to a customer of mine about detriot engines tonight on phone, will take camera next time i go out there, he got H30B, H60C, H90, TD25C, T6, and thats just the IH, he also got 2 terex scrapers, 3 agtrucks with detriots, hitachi LX150, EX200-5, kumatsu D65,
Back in the 60s the then Ministry of Works had 3 or 4 BTD 20s in their Tauranga depot which was down at sulphur point in those days. I can never remember seeing them on a job any where and for as long as I can remember they just sat there, probably a goob buy for someone as they had never done much work.
J Pavans Gear Pronto - found my b&w pics ! 1st shot is all three IH 295's. These machines were ex Earthmovers Waikato and two of them had cartoon characters painted on the sides. To the extreme right of the scrapers is a TD-25 towing a Birtley 80 scraper (out of picture) 2nd shot is his TD-24 - its a 241 series parked in the trees next to an AC HD-16. 3rd shot is the HD-16. All of this gear was in pretty good condition at the time I took the photos in 1975. The location was Crofton Downs.
Fouhy Mahar & Thompsom Pronto - you also mentioned Fouhy, Mahar & Thompson in one of your earlier posts. This shot was taken on their last job at Maungarakei (pronounced morn-gar-rack-ee for all our overseas friends). Apart from the usual suspects there are two Cat compactor conversions in the picture (to the left of the TS-14s) a DW-15 (45C series) and a DW-20 (21C series) Enjoy :drinkup
wow great pictures, keep em coming, if your in christchurch, there is a bar in town in a alley way with a bunch of other bars, its called the fish and chip bar, next time i am there i am going up stairs to see if they are running the loop video they got made, it shows clips of the clyde dam, benmore etc i wanna see it for my self, see what its about
Hi Wabcoman. These are fantastic! The machines at Crofton Downs are almost in the same place - judging by the houses in the background. Obviously, when that job stopped, so did the machines - forever! The Fouhy Maher shot is great too. As I mentioned, I know one of their old operators, so when I see him next I'll show him -as an encouragement to search out some of his own pictures. If youhad any more I'd love to see those as well.
Td30 a tidy TD30
That is sharp looking td 30.I wounder how many years IH produced the td30?Was the final drive problem realy that bad?It looked like a tough tractor.Great picture malcom.
Malcom thanks for posting that pic of the TD30,any more? I think it was in the Payliner book that the first production of the td30 had final drive issues-IH withdrew the model for two years until they sorted the problem,unfortunately their reputation was rubbish by then. I hope this is correct no doubt I'ill get corrected if wrong:notworthy Neil
Td30 Hi Neil D Sorry no that is a web pic i found I was an IH tractor apprentice in the early 6os (a busy time ) I recall Baker const in NZ took two to the matahina hydro dam progect to rip rock . The rock was that hard the operators would back out over the edge to get the ripper in. IH had a mechanic sitting with those machines for a long time just keeping them going but it was not all the machines fault . They were given an oh after the job at IH expense we did both at cambridge the 817 had piston scuffing problems I remember that every 817 owner got a modification o/h at IH expense . If you look at that photo you can see the grease point for the hyd trac adjuster is turning in the frame it is located in a square in the rear of the frame which would brake off bloody anoying when it goes out of sight I think I have some world wide production nos watch this space cheers malcolm
Malcolm Its fasinating to read of your experiences with IH please tell us more!! I am interested in the both the good points and bad points of the TD30,are there any similarities with the TD25c? Neil
International machines at Crofton Downs, Wellington, NZ Just a follow up from the pieces on the gear parked up in Crofton Downs I spoke with a someone who knew more about the history today and he said the Earthmovers Waikato International scrapers came direct from the Todd Motors factory site in Porirua. I'm sure there would be some good pictures in the local archives of these in action.
IH295's of Earthmovers Waikato Hi pronto, Yes, I saw those machines at the Todd site but couldn't get any photos. However, I disagree a little with your mans info as to their fate as I saw two of these machines at the Caterpillar dealers yard in Lower Hutt. They were traded in by Earthmovers Waikato on some Cat 631C's (which went down to the hydroelectric site at Twizel). The Cat dealer (Gough, Gough & Hamer) sold them to Pavan. ointhead
Cheers Wabcoman, he was a little vague but it was an interesting conversation about the history of all this gear. What reminded me was seeing the Crofton site up for Mortgagee Auction in the newspaper. The land incudes the area where the 3 scrapers and dozers are sitting so that could mean they finally have to move. As an aside, there are some fantastic pictures floating around of all the development in Porirua during the 50's, 60's and 70's. When I was visiting Kenepuru Hospital they had some poster size photos of the earthmoving which were very impressive. I tried seeing whether these were on the National Library image database online but they weren't. I did find these though http://timeframes.natlib.govt.nz/lo...&num_result=22&Object_Layout=viewimage_object Some other good shots in the search under earthmoving too.