Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ihi ini excavator ignition to starter wiring help needed.

jimsage ยท 2022-08-20 12:46

Hi folks, I'm in a bit of a pickle with my mini excavator Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Long story short, I took out & replaced a repaired starter motor. Thing is there are 3 wires from the ignition switch (Green, Yellow, Black) which goes to the starter motor area. The Green came from the Starter Motor solenoid (and is plugged into ST of ignition switch, which I believe is the Starter ON pin), which I plugged back in. The Black goes to chassis near the Starter Motor. But the Yellow i have no idea where it goes! I forgot to take photos & it appears to be broken off - and I can't tell where it should go (however, I traced it back to the ignition switch & it is plugged into IG, which I believe is Ignition ON when I turn key one click before the spring loaded Start click next). The 3 wires from ignition switch all end up around the Starter Motor area. So, Green is on Starter solenoid, Black is on Chassis ground. Any ideas as to where that Yellow wire from the IG pin of ignition switch should go to? It's hanging n the air & turning the key does nothing at the moment. Thank you in advance for any help!

Replies2
  1. #10072022-08-20 18:58

    Just check that there is no power on any terminals at your ignition switch first. I am guessing that yellow wire should be with the main battery terminal on the solenoid and sends power up to the ignition switch.

  2. #2jimsage2022-08-29 20:52

    You are a life saver! Yes, it was indeed going to the solenoid +ve mounting. I could not tell because the wire was broken off when vines which grew into engine area was cleared ... hence no way to know it broke & I could not figure out what was preventing the mini excavator from starting! Thank you very much!