I am not looking for the best, most elite, $20k system, but it seems to me, with the tech in new pickups and excavators, where they can create a virtual overhead view, I would think something is around? Or around the corner? Primarily, I need to see behind the excavator. I also had a near miss with an electric line because of the blind spot between the window and clear hatch. The top of the boom is right there and I have to strain to see it. Hell, I am ready just mount a camera on that part of the cab pointing up so I can see better. but I think the cameras are cheap enough, it is the monitors that may be an issue. We ran into this many times in manufacturing machines where small monitors are WAY more expensive than complex TVs or PC monitors. I need to find a better source for these small, very important monitors.
You could probably get something to link to your phone. Like a go pro with a magnetic mount. That way you can put it where you want it when you want it
Rather do a permanent mounted system. That way when anyone is in it, it is always available. No excuses for counterweight polishing.
You can't run a hoe and be looking at a camera
I was recently operating about 3ft from a building without a spotter. I wasted a lot of time moving, then jumping out to ensure I was clear. I can gauge pretty well from the cab but with such risk, it was worth verifying IMO.
We have both the zero swing and regular machines. I find myself constantly checking when I am near anything. I know that the moment that I stop looking on the zero swing machines is when I will be back in a regular one. Seems to me that there was a discussion about cameras in the crane section. More along the lines of looking down the cable, but there might have been some product names thrown out. Load line camera was the thread name
No idea on pricing But, here... https://www.orlaco.com/market/camera-systems-for-excavators
Must be thousands of them in junk yards from all those TVs in the headrest that kids watch? It's a small monitor, might need a electro wizard to figure out how to hook it up. Joe H
I put a small 4 camera system in my Menzi excavator. I still have lots of mirrors, too, but the cameras provide a view that the mirrors don't. 4 color cameras with about 9" monitor was about $200 if I remember correctly. It's a wired system. I think I got it off of Ebay or Amazon.