Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

in search of a used mini

fullphase · 2018-01-12 20:56

Hey there, Finally found a site that I can bounce some ideas off of! ya! New to the site, and the world of excavators, I bought a piece of property and would like to have a machine to do some work with. So many questions! I guess first of all, i am thinking of size, I rented a JD60 and that seemed to be ideal for what I need, but been pulled to the JD, bobcat, hitachi.....in the 7500lb range. Not sure if i will be kicking my self if I go that small....???? My lot is all sand and gravel, the majority of trees are cleared, so thinking i will be ok...... Also, a guy I know is selling a Hitachi ex75UR excavator (grey market). I was telling a couple of dealers about it and they said to stay away as it might be hard to get parts and you never know what your are getting. I still tempted, because it is in my price range (30k Canadien) looks in good shape and the meter is only reading 200hrs (i guessing that is incorrect though). It has a mechanical thumb not hydraulic, and only comes with one bucket and no quick connect. Also, looking at a bobcat E35 former rental unit with 3000hrs. Any thoughts comments are greatly appreciated. thanks Mike

Replies27
  1. #1Billrog2018-01-12 21:46

    Mike I recently bought a mini & when looking for a few mons. noticed there was a good selection on the Island compared to the mainland. Personally I wouldn't be scare of the Hitachi if it was in good shape I'm sure there are plenty of parts available.

  2. #20072018-01-13 06:24

    Ex Rental with those hours would not be the most desirable. There is no question having a machine is great but what sort of jobs are you thinking of. No question the larger machine makes light work of large trees and dams etx. But if your just landscaping irrigation post holes and the like the big machines are a pain. With my place i hire a big machine for the large jobs and have a small mini for the smaller work. I find its less fuel, cheaper to repair, move it with trailer. We use the little one every where like a tractor but the bigger machines make to much of a mess of the grass every where they go. No machine is perfect for all so you have to think of what it will be doing most of the time.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-01-13 08:51

    When shelling out that kinda money, you really don't want to limit your options.. 1 bucket & no Quick connects sounds awful limited to me. ??

  4. #4Billrog2018-01-13 11:36

    I agree with thepumpguy I shopped until I got a machine with a hydraulic thumb and a few buckets 2600 hrs. just under 8,000 # because it's big enough to suit my needs.

  5. #5fullphase2018-01-13 12:13

    all great ideas and thoughts, just what i need.....keep any ideas coming! I am kinda looking at spending 25-30k on a machine, i guess that is a limiting factor, but is it unreasonable to find a decent machine, with thumb, couple of buckets, and a full cab for that kind of $$? Can anyone comment on this machine on craigslist? It has been for sale for quite awhile, looks good, price is good, but it isn't selling.....kinda has me wondering why it not selling. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/hvo/d/1998-bobcat-337-excavator/6427898582.html i have texted with the seller, he said he did a bunch of work to it, paint, new decals....... thoughts.....??

  6. #6Billrog2018-01-13 16:18

    I looked at that machine when I was shopping Mike looks nice a clean not bashed up for the age. Only reason I didn't peruse it I was looking for rubber tracks and 0 tail swing for my purpose . My experience with excavators is limited so I really have no sound advice.

  7. #7Billrog2018-01-13 16:31

    Here's one that may interest you. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equip...or/1324943589?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

  8. #8code542018-01-13 16:34

    I have a Kubota KX91 - around 7500lbs for home use. Works great. Taken down some larger trees (24" oaks), and use it all the time for moving logs, trenching, etc. No complaints at all. Think really had about a quick detach and a thumb. I have 3 buckets, QD bracket for lifting and switch them around all the time. Takes a minutes so it is easy to have the correct size bucket whenever you need it. I also bought used but went with low hr (232hr) and spent about 32k US. The previous owner worked it along rebar and tore the track sides up but they are still fine. (Have a new set waiting when needed)

  9. #9Diggin-Fool2018-01-13 22:59

    I have a Kubota U35 with 12", 24" toothed buckets. I followed dealer recommendation of 30" grading bucket. I suppose anything bigger would be too much stress?

  10. #10Diggin-Fool2018-01-13 23:03

    Disregard.....wrong thread

  11. #11suladas2018-01-14 23:51

    That bobcat above is pretty pricey. If you're working in any sort of residential, tight areas, etc that machine wouldn't be any good. On a small machine zero swing is a must, and steel tracks are a pain. I really like the 6 ton size, big enough to load trucks and move it's share of dirt, but small enough to fit in and dig in tight areas. A 8 ton is just too big for so many things, and any smaller then 6 ton can't dig much. The boom swing on the Takeuchi is an awesome design too which really helps in tight areas. For a price reference I bought my 2006 Takeuchi TB153FR 3 years ago with 2,900 hours 2 buckets and hydraulic thumb for $39,000, i'm just east of you in Alberta.

  12. #12suladas2018-01-14 23:55

    Am I the only one that sees a bunch of red flags on that machine just from the pictures? IMO a great indication of a machine to stay away from.

  13. #13Huband12018-01-15 00:47

    I am looking for a similar size machine as well. I have a buddy that has recommended I try to stay under 2000 hrs for a mini ex. He figures with much more hours I could be into significant amounts of repair. What were the red flags on the Kubota kx 121? Too many hours? The thumb looks like it was repaired kinda funny, the machine looks very clean, but I suppose the photos could have been taken when the machine was newer. Alan

  14. #14suladas2018-01-15 01:03

    The thumb being patched together is a red flag. The other is the picture of transporting, the machine is tied down and bet anything they transported it with the second bucket like that, that is a terrible way to do so and so illegal. Also the tying down of machine is awful. The rear has holes on the outside of undercarriage to tie down by. May seem small, but things like that are generally decent indicators on how a machine is operated and maintained. If you can't be bothered or don't have the experience to tie down equipment properly, will you know how to operate or maintain it? A lot of those pictures were when it was new, look at how the bucket has virtually all it's paint, it's no indication on how good it looks now. I bought mine with 2900 hours i'm at 3500 hours now the only big repair was an electrical issue, not really related to hours but more age. I am currently at the point where the bucket pins have quite a bit of play and should be replaced. Other then that still no concerns. I think 3000 hours or less is a better guide, however depends more on your budget. It's very easy to check condition of pins though. I am a firm believer of spending a bit more to get a newer/less hour machine to avoid repairs, but at the same time need to consider how much use it will see.

  15. #15farmboy5552018-01-15 15:54

    I have a 6000lb & 12000lb Yanmar’s both purchased off Craigslist 1800 & 1400 hrs thousands less than you would find them on a lot somewhere. I save over $3k on sales tax by private sale Decided what you want and keep your eyes open. Took me 9 months to get one and 3 to find the last one

  16. #16fullphase2018-01-15 17:01

    Thanks Bill, good to know. Another issue with me buying on the mainland is getting it transported to the island....I am sure that is not a small bill. What would be the best way.....call transport company i guess.....?

  17. #17Billrog2018-01-15 17:26

    It would be good to get a few quotes maybe 1 from Hot Shot. If you purchase a machine less that 10,000 # perhaps 8,000# you could consider renting a trailer and picking it up yourself.

  18. #18fullphase2018-01-17 10:50

    Again thanks for all the responses guys......a few more questions: Outside of running steel tracks on pavement or concrete, what are the other advantages disadvantages to rubber vs. steel tracks? What about renting your machine out while you are not using it. Is that something you would suggest, or stay away from. thinking about things like insurance, damage/repair costs....but also potential income to pay the thing off! Thanks in advance!

  19. #19TrentNz2018-01-20 17:19

    Steel tracks last longer than rubber. Most people prefer steel but limited to rubber due to working on surfaces that need to be kept in good condition. I wouldnt be afraid of getting a machine between 5000-10000 hrs as long as maintained well. Bought our kubota with just under 4000 hrs and had no issues so far at 5500 hrs - still a very capable front line machine. That allowed us to recently buy a low hr machine

  20. #20OTG AuGres2018-01-20 18:07

    I would say other than the obvious that you mentioned, resale would be a good reason for rubber tracks on a mini...depending on your location of course . When I bought mine, both Kubota and Bobcat dealers in my area indicated a harder resale with steel tracks specifically in the smaller weight class machines (mine is. 4.5ton). In my area, you virtually never see a mini with steel tracks.

  21. #21Bill Smith2018-01-21 15:50

    Fullphase Just a note of warning . If you barge the machine to the island it won't be insured as long as it sits on a barge . You will have to notify your insurance company and get an insurance adjustment for the day . Believe me we lost one and no insurance .

  22. #22Billrog2018-01-21 15:59

    Rather than haul one across on a trailer I'd opt for a flat deck truck and you wouldn't have to pay for extra length.

  23. #23fullphase2018-01-30 19:01

    ouch Bill.....thanks for that, i would have never thought of it!

  24. #24melli2018-01-31 18:35

    With Billrog on flat deck. That is how I got mine...find someone in your hood with a flatdeck/hiab and ride along with them to get it. I'll admit I got a good deal (had to get mine shipped from lower mainland to coast) in terms of shipping (Ferry was $225 or so). Hard to find good deals out in the sticks. Yeah, fixed thumb and only one bucket alone would cause me to move along. Wouldn't consider an ex rental, unless a 1000hrs or less. They get flogged by test pilots. Rubber tracks allow one to tread across grass without totally chewing it up. Look for one with maintenance done...imho. These smaller machines go through rollers/idlers every 2-3 thousand hours, and if near 3-4000 hrs, bushing work, hoses, tracks, and maybe even big ticket items like drive motors, slew drive, etc. Being on wet coast, find one with a cab! lol I did use mine to clear land...was a bit hard on Bobby (331D), but it did everything I needed to do. Once cleared, Bobby is perfect for the landscaping bit, house foundation, driveway maintenance, deadfall removal, trenching, etc. At least try to find one with a digging and cleanup bucket, and real thumb. Make sure you know how to test a machine when buying...I admit, I was naive when I bought mine, of what to look for. Lots of slop in boom/arm/bucket means bushing work (adds up and a pain to fix). Raise both tracks off ground, and hand check rollers (side to side means bearings are shot) and idler. Should be no visible smoke out of exhaust when running. Ask when oil in drive units was changed. Sight glass for hydraulic oil reservoir should be a honey colour. One will never get a perfect machine, but it helps if you can avoid buying a money pit. I was thinking of selling mine for house build, but geesh, Bobby is darn indispensable around the homestead.

  25. #25molly9872018-02-08 10:15
  26. #26alco2018-02-18 01:29

    I just picked up a Deere 27D with a thumb and 2000 hours. I can't wait to get it home.

  27. #27Billrog2018-02-18 10:35

    Nice looking machine alco .