Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

In shop schedule

pburress ยท 2011-03-11 18:19

Just kind of wondering how other field service tech handle this situation. Service manager only lets me come to the shop once a week to restock my truck and pick up my uniforms. Luckly the tool man is a friend of mine so he is willing to drop off what I need and pick up his money on his way home. :cool2. How do you other field service tech's do it? Are you in the shop every day or every few days? I personally like only going into the shop once a week, it keeps me out of trouble that way. Any feed back or advice would be great.

Replies6
  1. #1motrack2011-03-11 21:37

    Who in Indianapolis are you working for? PM me if you dont want to put it on the forum. I may have worked for you service manager before.......... sounds like someone I know.

  2. #2pburress2011-03-12 13:22

    I prefer not to say, that way I stay out of trouble that way.

  3. #3bob b2011-03-12 13:23

    that seems like an unrealistic schedule. if you have three of the same kind of job in two days you may need to restock sooner. you know what i mean. we dont work in a 9-5, m-f world. if he cant see that then maybe he should get with the program. next thing you know he will want to schedule a particular day and time for you to come in. lol good idea keeping your mouth shut. i wish i had the same thought back when i needed it.

  4. #4motrack2011-03-12 21:49

    Since you wont give any input as to who your service manager is all I will say is man up to him. How does he get parts to you if your not alow to come to the shop? I have been thru this before.......... grow a pair and stand up to him. A good field mechanic is priceless and service managers tend to be very inexperienced and more easily replaced. Explain your situation to the general manager......... sometimes you have to stir the pot.

  5. #5Lee-online2011-03-12 22:31

    We have field techs who only come to the shop for the monthly service meeting. They get what they need through the parts drop locations. They seem to prefer it that way.

  6. #6bob b2011-03-12 22:32

    sometimes the pot needs stirring, sometimes its best to let it simmer, and sometimes it needs to be dumped and refilled. how can you tell which pot needs to be stirred wihout getting burned? most times its who knows you, and not who you think you know, or even how much you know that gets the right pot stirred. having a good pair is not nearly important as knowing when to use um.