Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Inch drive sockets, deep or shallow

STOIE ยท 2012-12-11 18:02

Hey all, I am thinking of investing in my first set of inch drive sockets... However, not sure weather I should buy deep sockets or regular sockets. The normal sockets are $350 for a set and the deep sockets are $520. I know deep sockets should do everything regular ones will, plus more, but, will I actually need them? Is it worth the extra expense? I really want to avoid buying these twice... Will be working on alot of farm machinery including possibly a D6H or D8H in the future. Which also leads onto another quick question, does anyone have a list of required socket sizes for a D8H? (is 1-1/2 inch drive required? - again if so, sizes?) Aaron.

Replies44
  1. #1siduramaxde2012-12-11 19:21

    I would kick myself if I didn't spend the extra money when I got to that one nut that required deep well

  2. #2willie592012-12-11 19:40

    True enough siduramaxde, always a possibility it can happen. However, in most cases, on machinery, most of the time you're simply working with a bolt head, no worries there, and the times you're working with a nut the bolt threads rarely protrude very far through the nut. Yes, there are exceptions, just saying it's not the norm. And there are times when I've stuck an impact in an enclosed area that a deep socket or an impact with an extended anvil would not fit in the area. Just my preference, but I prefer my set up to be as short as possible. If I run across the rare place that deep well is required, I'll figure out how to deal with it.

  3. #3Lee-online2012-12-11 20:03

    Our inch drive sockets go up to about 5" and most are shallow. We use Rad guns with them and the deep cause more problems because they are too long.

  4. #4FSERVICE2012-12-11 22:50

    my 1" drive sockets are shallow well. that being said i have several common size deep well on the truck as well. that seems cheap for 1" drive, dont go the cheap route on these sockets especally if you plan to work them everyday

  5. #5theironoracle2012-12-12 01:00

    stoie, i assume your talking about impact sockets? i carry both up to 3" with extensions 3,6,9,12", i actually think i would buy the deep first. right off i can think of 3 very specific jobs where you remove the nut and don't access bolt head, 1) plow bolts, 2) ripper or grapple bolts where they attach to the rear of the tractor that must be removed for high track trans removal, 3) blade trunion bolts to remove push arms to work on undercarriage. i have had great luck with my grey pnuematic socket sets not supper high end but good economy tools..................theironoracle

  6. #6mitch5042012-12-12 08:49

    I have a full set of the shallow up to around 3.5" , and have bought deep along and along over the over the years as needed. I have basically a full set of both now. I do about 60% trucks and 40% equipment, and there are a few places on trucks where you will need deep ones. Things like lug nuts, spring u-bolts, and a few others. If you are going to do much w/ heavy trucks, you basically need a full set of 3/4 drive in deep and shallow also.

  7. #7STOIE2012-12-12 16:20

    Thanks for the responses guys. I plan on buying a full set of both deep and shallow in the end, but, just after an idea on what the get first. @Mitch - I don't have any 3/4 stuff, but, I have 1/2 up to like 35mm. (again, will probably invest in 3/4 down the track but, think I can get past more things with 1" for now. Does anyone have any advise on good set of inch drive sockets? (good brands etc.) Thanks again, Aaron.

  8. #8RobVG2012-12-12 17:17

    I use a 3/4 to 1" impact adapter if I need to use a 1" dr socket, but mostly use 3/4 dr sockets. A 3/4 breaker bar and/or impact wrench usually suffices. I work on trucks and excavators up to 160's. The largest bolts I have to deal with on a regular basis are 1" torque rod bolts. And occasionally I have to replace a pintle eye and bushings on one of our trailers and the flame wrench seems to work best.

  9. #9RobVG2012-12-12 17:26

    My favorite deep socket is one I made. It's a 3/4" socket 1/2"-drive and 6" deep. Any guesses what it's for?

  10. #10STOIE2012-12-12 17:36

    Yeah understand where your coming from, I just feel that it's easier to transfer more torque through a inch drive. As for your socket... no idea, but, I am sure you will fill me in?

  11. #11RobVG2012-12-12 17:41

    I don't know STOIE, i've broken plenty of bolts with my three quarter. (I use the socket for caging brake spring cans)

  12. #12STOIE2012-12-12 17:43

    Haha I bet. And neat idea, made it yourself aeh!

  13. #13equip guy2012-12-13 22:04

    As for good quality (not cheap $$$) try looking at Proto or Wright.

  14. #14STOIE2012-12-14 21:42

    Awesome will check them out. Cheers,

  15. #15powerjoke2012-12-14 21:51

    Go to harbor freight and spend $250 on both!

  16. #16biggrader2012-12-14 21:56

    Not sure if this is the correct answer, but we have a 3/4" socket 1/2" drive , cut in two with a 12" long pipe welded back in. We use it to tighten culvert band bolts.

  17. #17biggrader2012-12-14 21:58

    RobVG Did I win , Did I win, Did I win, huh, huh, huh !!!

  18. #18Impact2012-12-15 05:26

    Shallow fractional Deep Fractional Shallow Metric Deep Metric

  19. #19Greg2012-12-15 09:35

    A new Wright 1.0" set will set you back about $1,500.00. It will be shallow and 12 point. These are not impact sockets. It will come with a ratchet, and a tee bar. I found mine just a teeny tiny bit used, as in one socket used on ebay for $520.00. Yes, I can sleep at night too. This thing is heavy enough to use with shallow sockets let alone putting deep wall on it. Don't buy cheap tools, they are no bargin

  20. #20mitch5042012-12-15 10:03

    Yeah, I have a lot of Proto, and most of what I buy now is Wright, just because there is a good dealer near me. They are both good. I hate cheap junk, if you are not going to strain it, you don't need 1" drive. Ironoracle, thanks for the comment on Grey Pneumatic, I've been looking at them, but haven't tried one yet.

  21. #21theironoracle2012-12-15 11:07

    IMPACT, this may show my work quality to much but with these bigger sockets i only have the 6 point fractional sockets and i use them on metric fastners, hasn't bit me in the but yet. i would recommend maybe purchasing the metric sets instead if you work mainly on metric equipment, i currently work on about 50/50 the older stuff is starting to drop off and i will have to buy the metrics one day. as far as where to purchase i use landmesser tools or just google part numbers if i have lots of time to price shop............theironoracle

  22. #22stumpjumper832012-12-15 12:15

    go to auctions, i bought a set of 1" drive snap on for $165, got the ratchet head, 25 sockets and a breaker bar...

  23. #23mitch5042012-12-15 12:16

    Using 6 point standard on big metric bolts has always worked for me till I got to one on a Komatsu dozer blade a few months ago, so now I own one 1" dr metric socket, but I don't remember the size.

  24. #24smittysrepair2012-12-15 18:41

    On the brand of sockets topic. I own and have owned about every brand imaginable. And to be honest the Gray Pneumatic are very good impact sockets and one of my favorite brands. I had a set of 3/4" drive and 1" drive ones for over ten years. And honestly I used them more then other brands and never broke one. However I did replace a few due to being worn out. I now use mainly all Snap-On sockets for everything. And the sad part is I have broken several of them. They are always willing to replace them. But I don't have a guy in my area. So once I do find a dealer then I have to hope he has the size I need. So now with all things considered every time I think about the cost vs quality difference I kick myself in the ass for changing. Lol

  25. #25Greg2012-12-15 20:09

    A new Wright 1.0" drive with shallow sockets, non impact, will be 12 point and come with a ratchet, a tee bar, an extension and set you back about $1,500.00. I got mine for $520.00 on ebay. Was new except for one socket being used. A real steal if I say so myself, and yes, I sleep very well. Seriously, buy a good set. Cheap tools aren't worth the waste as they will break and break and break and break. I have sockets sets from 1/4" up through 1.0" here and would be lost without all of them. Don't count out a 3/4" set as you will use that too. Maybe even more then the 1.0" set.

  26. #26Greg2012-12-15 20:12

    Oh ya, the stuff from Harbor Freight is junk. Wouldn't take it if you gave it to me.

  27. #27NoCrapmatsu2012-12-16 00:38

    Grey Pneumatics have been amazing to me. And for the price I got them I couldn't be happier.

  28. #28Impact2012-12-16 07:46

    6 point and 12 point in each of course.

  29. #29still learn'n2012-12-16 14:08

    I have grey pneumatic in 1/2 inch and 1" drive and I have not had any problems with them! Talked to local tractor shop and they love gp duo sockets I think they are supposed to be toughness of impact but thickness of impact! I dont use them everday like sum hf people do the boss has to much variety for me to do!! Jerry

  30. #30norite2012-12-16 18:39

    Nice score!

  31. #31STOIE2012-12-16 19:31

    Hey again, Love the responses it's great to hear insider advise on this sort of thing. I only buy quality tools, thus the reason why I asked here as to what's best... harbour freight can suck it. I might look into the Gray Pneumatic sockets. I'm looking at buying just metric as with the larger stuff if you buy within 1mm on a metric socket it will work fine on fractional too, I assume?!? And I assume from everything I have read (and done with all my other sets), I will bite the bullet and get shallow and deep right off the bat. 3/4 will come shortly, but, I can't afford a full deep / shallow of both 3/4 and 1" right now. Ohhh and I plan on buying 6 point impact, if I want some 12 point non-impact I can buy them down the track. Keep the responses coming!

  32. #32RobVG2012-12-16 19:33

    Caging brakes BG.

  33. #33RobVG2012-12-16 19:37

    The best tool is between your ears.

  34. #34STOIE2012-12-16 19:40

    Was that meant to be offensive... or...

  35. #35STOIE2012-12-16 19:44

    Grey Pneumatic look really good, they have alot of sets with large assortment which is really nice to see.

  36. #36RobVG2012-12-16 20:13

    Wow. I had no idea that could be taken as an insult. Sorry

  37. #37willie592012-12-16 20:29

    I don't think RobVG meant that to be offensive STOIE, I think he's saying "the best tool is your mind".

  38. #38RobVG2012-12-16 20:34

    Yes Willie, that's what I meant.

  39. #39STOIE2012-12-16 21:21

    Haha all good, I was assuming that, but, didn't know if I said something dumb :S Anyway, grey pneumatic have alot of sets! Anyone know where I can get some rough pricing...?

  40. #40STOIE2012-12-16 22:05

    I think I have found my first purchase... http://www.autotoolworld.com/Grey-P...ic-6-Pt-Impact-Socket-Set-20-Pc_p_141780.html

  41. #41STOIE2012-12-16 22:13

    And my "probably same order", second: http://www.autotoolworld.com/Grey-P...Impact-Socket-Set-26-Pc-19-44mm_p_141784.html

  42. #42Seabass2012-12-23 15:03

    Ive gotten into Wright tools as well. Great value, very well made, Ill be adding more.

  43. #43MrElectric032012-12-24 11:46

    I only have shallows with a few of the common in deep well sockets. I find more often that the shallow sockets are most usable.

  44. #44tctractors2012-12-24 16:07

    This shallow or deep socket thing is a tricky thing to sort to the best outcome, the deep 1" drive sockets that would realy use in a common situation would be the wheel nut size 27mm to poss 40mm, after that standard depth 12 point sockets are the best bet, I buy my impact wheel nut size sockets from the tyre patch supply Co that do all the tyre- wheel stuff, they are very low cost and briliant quality, I do have an 1"1/2 drive set for the "Man Pig " size nuts but they are only rare use things and the cost is high, the 3/4" drive sockets need to be standard depth 12 point items with just a few 6 point (impact deep) pieces like 19mm 24mm, so 2 sockets of this style should sort things, on the Rachet thing I use a Snap On 3/4" head with a swap out handle and a breaker head, so 2 heads with 1 handle and great kit.