talked with them today at a Career Fair here at school and they seem to be a decent sized company based out of Clevland Ohio but do work all over the place. Just curious if anyone on here works with them and what it is like to be involved with them. Hopefully I can set an interview up with them at one point and move into the Project Manager/Superintendent role this coming summer -Bryan
Yeah they are one of the bigger companies in the area. They are one of our competitors. Never heard anything bad about them. I do know they have been going after more PA work it seems.
they are doing a lot of Western PA and West Virginia based work now according to the two guys i talked to
They are in the top five largest excavating companies in Ohio. Most of their work is north of me (Akron to the lake and in PA). Two years ago I almost decided to work for them. I believe they are still IUOE 18?
yes they are a Union shop
I interviewed with them last year, and know several people that have worked for them. From what I gather they are a big company, and treat their employees like a large company. One girl I know worked for them as a co-op. I think she was a little disappointed with how she was treated. But she was female trying to work with a bunch of guys. She was capable of doing her job, and now works for a large GC in Columbus. Dont let that deter you. They are good company. Everything I hear though is that Cleveland is really hard hit, and there are few projects coming up. I know of one large GC that just laid off 150 salary employees on top of a bunch of hourly.
There is one guy who lives in my town who is a General Foreman for them, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to discuss them with him. Independence is a very large company, with all the family companies they have over 900 employees. You're correct, they are one of the largest dirt movers in the state of Ohio, lately they have become very acustomed to PA and WV work. According to ENR Magazine their revenue dropped 20% from 2006-2007. I've noticed a few WV projects and one OH project where there bids were rejected due to errors. One of which was a 2.1 million yard job and they were the low bidder, but we're unable to cover their DBE Goal. Jeffksf, may I ask which company you work for if they compete with you often? Possibly Beaver, Kenmore, Great Lakes? Those are the main larger companies on the eastern portion of Ohio that I know of.
Sure, Mr. Excavator. We aren't quite as large as those guys, I think we are around 100pcs. of major equipment. Some of the cleanest around though.
They don't have anything to do with the independence quarries that I see in Lancaster, PA do they?
As far as I know those are not part of Independence Excavating. Although this could of been something they've done recently that hasn't hit the internet, or are these old quarries?
no Independence materials are owned by American Infrastructure who is a parent company of A. Allan Myers....you may have heard of them
Ahh, ya beat me to it dirt digger:drinkup:usa Paradise quarry is a pretty good, clean operation. I've been out there a few times for one reason or another. I think the other one we have is Talmege... haven't been there though, I think bigcatp has:beatsme
the Paradise quarry is on top of their game thats for sure...every time we order stone from them all our loads show up at once and usually 15 minutes early...and if we aren't quite ready for them they never have a problem waiting a little (or atleast they always seem friendly)
Yeah most of the ICM guys are pretty friendly and easy going. They get paid by the hour just like the rest of us, LOL.:drinkup I think it helps that AI has own paradise for quite a few years, the pit loader is a 988g and the have four yellow Euclid R40c's running around there too. Some of the other ones, like Cedar Hill, Elk Mills, and Talmage are all old DM Stolfuz quarries we bought back in '05 (?). They have made great strides in improving them all over all though, but they do have a little bit further to go, might be part of why your CH stone takes a little longer:cool2:usa