Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Info needed on PC75 & PC78 excavators

treemuncher ยท 2007-07-05 14:27

I'm looking at possibly purchasing one of these small excavators for some of my smaller, tighter jobs. I currently run a PC200LC6 but it won't fit down an 8' wide path. What are the differences between the 75 and 78 models? Both are UU style excavators with zero tail radius. Anyone have any experience with the offset boom types? Any major known issues to the grey market machines? Other preffered manufacturers in the same size category? I would prefer not to go much smaller that a 70 class machine. Thanks for any input.

Replies4
  1. #1mike694402007-07-05 17:25

    Pc75uu-2e Without a lot of explaination I refer you to: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/96751-should-i-pursue-excavator.html Anyways, assuming they do fix the machine, here are my obsevations from limited use. The one speed track drive of the PC75 still pushes pretty good, at least when when both darn tracks worked. With the weight of the offset boom and thumb, the thing is tippy. i bet I can only handle 1000 lbs with boom extended to side. Swing torque is very weak. Crowd force on dipper is weak. Boom is strong, Bucket curl, well I guess is ok but I expected more. Motor is very quiet. Good on fuel. even with a fair amount of wear, being no pro, I find the controls easy and reasonably smooth. Expensive as heck to fix.

  2. #2Coastal2007-07-05 22:09

    I just got a pc75, pretty decent machine, for its size it lifts a lot of weight with the blade down. The cab is small, that is one major difference between 75 and 78, the 78 cab is much bigger and nicer. The cab in the 75 is hot, i think a combo of bad insulation between you and the motor, and very little ventilation make it stuffy in there. I have a 58" tilt bucket on mine and it rips XXXX up all day with that. I am happy with it for the price.

  3. #3Ford LT-90002007-07-06 21:49

    One of the local contractors bought a PC-78 its a nice looking machine. I watched him do some digging the machine has power. The machine has the same problems as the 158 I was running you bounce all over inside the cab. People say the ZTS machines are stable I call that BS. I would go with the 78 it seems to be a little heavier than the PC-75s that some of the contractors have. You don't want that swivel boom it makes the machine too heavy.

  4. #4Coastal2007-07-06 22:21

    Oh I love the swivel boom, its slick.