Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Inherited a older Ford Tractor from my dad

pwcracer · 2019-06-11 10:27

I was given this tractor when we lost my dad a couple of months ago. I believe it's a Ford Jubilee /8n The previous owner swapped in a diesel motor from a Ford NA621. . The starter is missing and I am not sure what I need. Any ideas from this picture

Replies25
  1. #1check2019-06-11 10:51

    I have a 1955 640. Yours does look like a jubilee, about 1953-4. Lots of info on the net about these good old tractors. Ford tractor diesel engines made before mid sixties are not particularly desirable from what I've read. You can probably do pretty good just parting it out if you have the time and place to bother with it.

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-06-11 11:08

    An 8N is an earlier model. It does appear to be a Jubilee. A dealer or even an auto electric place might have a listing for a 621 starter. I'd try tow starting it to see if it runs before I parted it out. Check if it's seized first. https://www.google.ca/search?q=ford...KHePJBkIQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1213&bih=639#imgrc=_

  3. #3pwcracer2019-06-11 11:48

    My dad had it running a couple of years ago. It ran really well from what I can remember. I was hoping I could get it going again to use on my hobby farm.

  4. #4Knocker of rock2019-06-11 11:49

    There are a ton of tractor forums around. I like Tractorbynet.com

  5. #5doublewide2019-06-11 14:11

    I just looked in two catalogs and found a NAA but no NA. I found a 601 and a 641 but no 621???

  6. #6Knocker of rock2019-06-11 14:18

    There's a 620 too

  7. #7doublewide2019-06-11 14:28

    What's the serial number?

  8. #8thepumpguysc2019-06-11 17:21

    Try "Yesterdays Tractor".. they have a dedicated forum for them.. Stay away from tractor by net.. unless u want 18 pages of armchair mechanics & their "ideas"..

  9. #9check2019-06-11 17:37

    Tractor-by-net is a material possession worship club.

  10. #10jimg9842019-06-11 17:59

    solid looking old ford body and all joints

  11. #11thepumpguysc2019-06-11 19:11

    Check.. at any given time u can go there & theres AT LEAST 4 people writing in about> when I go to start my "tractor" {15hp} it just clicks.. anybody ever ran into this before?? & then there are 6 pages of arm chair mechanics writing in how to diagnose it.. {a dead battery} & the 2nd to the last post will be, have u put the battery on a charger?? & the last post will be, it was a dead battery.. THANKS so much for everyones help.. 10-12 posts per page, 6 pages long for a DEAD BATTERY..

  12. #12check2019-06-11 19:53

    Was a member there when I had an old Kubota. Don't ever even suggest that an orange tractor might have something on it that was poorly designed. The tractor worshipers will be apoplectic. Even your run of the mill Chinese plastic electronic tractor gets the highest consideration.

  13. #13mitch5042019-06-11 20:39

    This is irrelevant but I just want to join in: 9n-first built in 1939; 2n-wartime tractor first built in 1942, no starter, no battery, no rubber tires, magneto ignition; 8n-first built in 1948, NAA first built in 1953, some NAAs are Jubilees

  14. #14Tenwheeler2019-06-11 20:53

    Alexander Tractor is a good place for help on Ford parts. They are in Texas but the Brown truck runs every day.

  15. #15RGM1612019-06-12 21:56

    The model number is pretty irrelevant, you are as likely to have an 841 with a swapped hood or merely an emblem as 600 series with a swapped motor. The diesel is solid, I pulled with one a lot of years, they will run far past where they should and can be kept operable very cheap. They also rest well and if you keep the bugs from turning the diesel can set just fine for a once a year bush hog job. For giggles post all the numbers on the flat above the starter boss and that will clarify at least the trans age and what is was attached to originally. Starter should be available somewhere local, have one on Craigslist from a part out in AL right now, set of brushes and bushings and a quiet evening and it is ready for the next 20 years. Can’t see the shifter but likely a 4 speed, as a hobby farm toy it will be neat and a blast for you at local parades and such purtied up, but can offer some challenges missing a live pto, workable but not to easy for detail type work with driven implements. Best thing to remember is the core of that tractor premise is just as simple as the original 8n, designed to be maintained with minimal knowledge, tools, time. These were kept working for decades by people without access to the internet!!! There is no reason btw for the starter to be missing, that is my concern, often that means something was wrong and I don’t like unknowns. My suggestion matches an earlier one, I would drain the oil and refill with bout the cheapest I could find after I made certain the crank could be turned a full rotation, there is an access plate on the bottom that you can use to bar the engine over easier than fighting around the crank snout. If ok then I would drain the fuel put a few gallons of fresh in it and pull it off, sounds good then I would put the effort into the electrics.

  16. #16RGM1612019-06-12 22:22

    Ps ! That little pic by my name, that is a culmination of decades of playing with these and is a little of everything demonstrating how long lived these were, the trans is a 640, the engine is a 192 out of a forklift, the last iteration of this engine family and its largest displacement. The rear I have no idea, they all fit, lift cover out of a 57 841, I also used the power steering off that, the rear wheels are the 24,s off the forklift with 16.9s on them, script fenders likely off a jubilee and no idea what the hood was from. I added a Sherman over/ under and salvaged a peach of a classic vintage front bumper. If I received a diesel that was salvageable I would put some effort into it, I personally have many fond memories

  17. #17old-iron-habit2019-06-12 23:25

    The small Fords are perfect for a collector or a small acre hobbyist and are one of the simplest tractors to keep running. You can just about build one from new parts that are available. I recently picked up a Golden Jubilee with a rear mount forklift on it. Get a book off of e-bay for it and have some fun. It is not a scrap tractor.

  18. #18doublewide2019-06-13 14:12

    I'd like to know what you guys would use for motor oil in these tractors. The manual calls for SAE 20 or SAE 30 Diesel Service motor oil, depending on ambient temperature. I believe some of the older diesels had smaller oil passages making a 15w40 oil to heavy. I have a 1965 International 282 and I use Rotella T SAE 30 in that.

  19. #19RGM1612019-06-13 21:50

    I’ve used 15-40 rotella since.....90? I ran pennzoil HD 30 from 84-90, before that I was one of those lonely tractorless guys. 8n, 9n, jubilee, 600 with a 134, 841 with a 172 gas, 841 with a 172 gas, 841 with a 172 diesel, 961 with a 172 gas and my combo built toy with a 192 gas. Hundreds upon Hundreds of hours on each, from parade idling to full days pulling fields on the governor, never had an inkling of a problem related to oil.

  20. #20Bumpsteer2019-06-13 22:09

    I run 15-40 Rotella in my 2n & 850....have for over 20 years. No problems. Ed

  21. #21petepilot2019-06-13 23:16

    fwiw ( yesterdays tractors) has more info&less bs than any of the other ones i`ve looked at

  22. #22milkie622019-07-21 23:02

    Any old Ford that runs is always worth fixing since they are so simple and fairly reasonable to keep running. Finish mowing,bush hogging with over-running clutch adapter,hauling a trailer with firewood,etc. I have a Kubota M6800 with bucket and almost jump on my dad's old Ford 810 just as much when there is work to be done.

  23. #23kshansen2019-07-22 09:21

    Apparently you have not checked out their IH/Farmall forum! I've been know to post there and I'm sure contributed more than my share of BS! But yes they do have some good people there just aimed at a little bit older and smaller equipment than HEF!

  24. #24Hobbytime2019-07-22 09:37

    KEEP the tractor and fix it up, each time you get on it and use it it will keep memories of your Dad alive...dont part it out....you will be sorry down the line...

  25. #25petepilot2019-07-22 21:24

    well just maybe someone has a sherman step up / down transmission for a 8n? I have a 52 thats runs to fast in first gear to do any thing with except rake hay ???????????