I have an old (70's) 580b that sat all winter. I started it up and it ran for about 15 seconds made a clunk and quit running. I thought the engine froze. When I tried to start it it would turn over but not start. I checked to see if there was fuel being delivered to the injectors. There was none, so I loosened the supply lines at the injector pump and no fuel was coming out when I tried to start. Thoughts??? It is a manual shut off and it was in the on position. Thanks gab
I'd try draining some fuel from a low spot to see if there's water, remove a cover, or the transfer pump housing on the end and see if it turns with the engine. If the transfer pump doesn't turn, game over. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there. A pic of the injection pump plate, or just the numbers never hurts.
Thanks will try that this afternoon
You have to have fuel TO the pump, inlet before it will start..
I took the front of the pump off and spun the engine, didn't turn so I pulled the pump, shaft was broken inside the pump. One end of the shaft was still connected to another shaft that goes into the front housing which I assume is attached to a gear? How do the two shafts separate?
I take it you don't have a manual?? Theres a downloadable version on the web.. someone here can give you the link.. You have to remove the cover surrounding the gear inorder to get the other end of the shaft out.. its held on by a nut & washer & a spring & plunger.. YOU BETTER TIME THE ENGINE.. BEFORE STARTING ANY WORK.. Remove the valve cover & find compression stroke #1 cyl.. Then compare #1 w/ the timing marks on the flywheel.. You'll want 0* or TDC .. This isn't a "project" for the novice.. & you have to find out WHY the pump locked up.. Was it sitting for a long time?? I just re*read #1 post.. sat all winter..
Thank you so much for the quick reply, this site is a God send for someone who needs quick answers. I will see if I can find the link, debating weather to invest more $ into something I use rarely...Thanks again for the info! gab
Your service manual is here -----> http://files.minnpar.com/partbooks/BACKHOE MANUALS/CNH (CASE) Service Manuals/CASE 580CK MODEL B SERVICE MANUAL/Case 580CK Model B Service Manual.pdf Download it and save it in your computer.
Outstanding! Thank You so much gab