Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stanadyne db pump

delton ยท 2018-05-05 13:54

Hi, I have a 580D backhoe that will run for 5 minutes then cut off. I could remove the return line of the injection pump until I had fuel flow, then reinstall line and it would run for 5 minutes then shut off. I had been searching forum and individuals thinks that it might be deteriorated o ring seal plugging return line. Bought O ring seal kit for pump and installed new O rings. Installed injection pump on backhoe got fuel flow, ran for 5 minutes then shut off. Same as issue as before. Removed return line again got flow and reinstalled ran for about a minute then shut off. Removed return line again seem to have quicker flow response reinstall, ran for about a minute and shut off. Very deeply would like any suggestion to problem. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-05-05 18:22

    Its not an Oring that's failed.. its the flex ring that's failed.. its inside the pump.. the pump has to be disassembled inorder to change it.. IF by chance you have changed the flex ring, then the return line coming off the top of the pump is clogged going back to the tank.. its either the fitting that screws into the top of the pump.. OR the line itself.. Remove the tank fuel cap & blow back thru that line till you hear a "POP" then bubbles..

  2. #2oilslick2018-05-07 21:37

    I just had a deere doing same thing recently, removed checkball to keep it running while owner saves up for pump repair.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-05-08 04:14

    Hey oilslick.. they aren't "real" expensive if "ya know a guy".. give me a shout.. {PM} Probably save ya 1/2 of what it'll cost ya in Illinois.. & you don't want to let that go TOO long.. I'm doing one for one of our members RIGHT NOW.. Lets just say, it was a close one.. "almost" sheared the pins in the weight retainer..

  4. #4Bobby Young2018-05-31 16:01

    Hey Thepumpguysc I'm new here on the forum but have a 580C Case backhoe that was doing fine when I started to the house it would die but start right up and run for about 2 min and die again. I got home and took off return line made no differents. So I took fitting which appears to be a check out and it runs fine. Put it back in after cleaning and still dies. Does anyone know the problem and where I can have it repaired

  5. #5Delmer2018-05-31 16:22

    Were there "coffee grounds" in the check valve? If so, click on "thepumpguy" and "start a conversation" and send him your pump. Time it before you take it off etc.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2018-05-31 17:12

    Happens to those pumps on a daily basis Bobby.. the flex ring has come apart.. they used a "plastic" piece inside the pump to dampen 2 metal parts.. once the flex ring breaks, it has to exit the pump..it gets caught in the check ball & the return line & shuts the pump down.. fuel cant get out, so fuel cant get in.. Then 2 metal parts start banging into each other & eventually, the speed gets erratic & cant be controlled & you cant shut the engine off.. Fortunately, the pump manuf. came up w/ a permanent fix called an EID weight retainer.. it does away w/ the plastic ring altogether.. UN-fortunately it costs "extra".. A pump can be rebuilt using a new plastic ring, no problem & is actually part of the rebuild gasket kit.. BUT.. if you want the problem TO GO AWAY.. spend the money on an EID weight retainer..along w/ your rebuild. I'll send you a private msg.