On my Thomas Protough 1700 the input shaft is leaking on the hydrostatic motor. The manual is light of specifics as to how to replace the seal. I've read that the U-joints could be the problem. How do I insect them? Is this a common style of U-joint for replacement parts? With this style can I get it apart in place or do I need to remove the pump or engine? The pump is probably Eaton, but does not have any ID. How do I figure out what model I have? Thanks, Steve
never worked on a thomas, but ujoint inspection should be a straight forward deal, check for slop. looks like it would be easiest to unbolt the pumps from the mounts, and slide it up and forward out of the machine. no ID on the pumps, i'd assume theres some numbers on it someplace. good luck. most of the thomas loaders that were sold around here, the dealer for them has been out of business for a long time. :drinkup
I've checked all the way around them, no model ID. The front hydraulic gear pump is stamped Eaton. I'm thinking Thomas had custom specs for their Eaton components, hence no model number.
No, most Eaton pumps don't have a tag
So my U-joints need to be replaced. They won't budge in my vise with a cheater bar. Should I just grind or torch the cross out? Do I replace the cross, bearings, cups, and C-clips? Where can I find the NEAPCO brand? Thanks, Steve
Put the joint in the vise so that one yoke is horizontal and each tab is resting on one jaw each. With the cross vertical, hit the socket on top of the yoke so the cross forces the upper bearing cup out of the yoke. The way you're doing it, the vice has to break both cups free to move, and it's just not strong enough. Might bend the yoke too that way.
Delmer, Awesome tip! I got it apart in about 10 minutes. Would would cause the kind of wear in the picture? The needle bearings created grooves in 6 out of the 8 legs on the crosses. There is plenty of grease and the seals are in good shape. Seems like a lot of wear for under 900 hours? Steve