Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Inspection Question

Jeti ยท 2023-07-22 09:14

I'm in the market for an 8 ton and have been using inspectequipment.com to look at pieces around the country. I came across this one and it isn't bad, but there is one picture that makes me hesitant. It has new tracks, but it also has a little slop in the bucket. However my biggest concern is the oil on the underside. The price is low enough to raise an eyebrow but not enough to be "too good." Am I being overly cautious?

Replies9
  1. #1Tyler d4c2023-07-22 09:33

    Imo your being a little over im not sure cautious is the word. It looks perfectly fine they all get some oily crud build up. They don't call them hydraulic excavators for nothing they call them that because hydraulic is normally everywhere. But in all seriesness it's not dripping/running oil out its probably not a concern

  2. #2CM19952023-07-22 10:48

    Welcome to the Forums Jeti! First of all give us some info on the machine. Make, model, year, hours, etc. There are more questions to ask than just a little oil residue that's probably from oil changes or a broken hydraulic line along the way. How many owners? Was it a rental machine? Any maintenance records?

  3. #3uffex2023-07-22 14:25

    Good day See Samsung post for inspection. Kind regards Uffex

  4. #4Jeti2023-07-22 18:15

    Yeah, I understand what you are saying about the oil build up. It is just so hard to spend so much on a used machine that could either be perfectly fine for many years or have some hidden problems that become apparent when you put some hours on it. Details are below if you are curious. I asked for the maintenance records but have not seen them yet. Apparently this company bought the machine from a govt agency in order to resell. It worked "at the docks." ...whatever that means. I highly recommend this inspection company. Quick to inspect and thorough pictures and grades. They gave this one a B in pretty much every area. 100+ Point Photo Inspection files hosted and downloadable link 2018 Takeuchi TB280FR 2018 Takeuchi TB280FR VIDEO INSPECTION LINK 1 - YouTube hosted Video Link 1 2018 Takeuchi TB280FR VIDEO INSPECTION LINK 2 - YouTube hosted Video Link 2

  5. #5CM19952023-07-22 20:42

    If it worked "on the docks" it's been exposed to sea salt and I would pass unless it's a hell of a deal.

  6. #6mekanik2023-07-22 20:55

    It doesn't appear to have an unusual amount of corrosion on it from salt exposure. 1460 hours for a 2018 is low as well.

  7. #7CM19952023-07-22 21:10

    Sent our D5G and CS 533E down to Baldwin county AL on the Gulf Coast for a project a good 20 or so miles inland from the beach. The amount of corrosion just from the sea salt in the air gave us fits on exposed electrical connections on the open cab 533E and the hydraulic fittings on the D5. There was no visible corrosion one could see in person much less in pictures however it took several years to work thru and replace what was corroded. Just my $.035 adjusted for massive inflation.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-07-22 23:24

    It sure seems to have a lot of hyd. hoses. The coiled hoses on the boom isn't something you normally see. If you're going to be anywhere around trees or bush I can see those hoses getting snagged. Overall looks pretty good though.

  9. #9Jeti2023-07-23 09:11

    As someone who grew up near the ocean, I should have thought more about how salt destroys everything! I am now worried about never ending electrical problems, LOL!