Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing bushings

Willie B ยท 2020-04-23 19:32

The 580K hit 5000 hours. Several joints are loose. I've bought a box full of new bushings, seals & pins. I feel I got removal down. I heat the old, let it cool, drive it out. Installing new, I've had complete success, and abject failure. I've seen it done with dry ice. No dry ice store near me. I've put them in the freezer. How would you do it?

Replies24
  1. #1Theweldor2020-04-23 20:07

    A freezer really doesn't do much good. A steel bushing will shrink or expand .0000065 for every 1" diameter for every degree above or below ambient temperature. If you have no access to dry ice I would go with a porta power cylinder with a thru hole and pull them in. If you have access to one of those.

  2. #2Jonas3022020-04-23 21:54

    liquid nitrogen is so cool for bushings unfortunately I only get it for special occasions takes a couple hours to go get it I always put bushings and races in the freezer every little tiny but can help Pulling them in with threaded rod and some plates works too large rod like 1 1/2 threads well greased having someone to hit the rod as you pull with the nut really helps

  3. #3willie592020-04-23 22:48

    Must be different in VT, here in TN every chain grocery store has a dry ice bin at the front of the store. I agree with others, the freezer does little to help, not cold enough to shrink the bushing enough and keep it there for any usable length of time once removed from the freezer. I used a 30 ton hollow cylinder ram when I used to do bushings, but those things are very expensive to purchase unless you score one for a good price on ebay.

  4. #4Nige2020-04-23 23:01

    Option 1 - liiquid nitrogen. Check with your local oxygen/acetylene supplier, they often have it or can get it. Usually they will also rent you the Dewar Flask to put it in as well. Boiled well in LN2 bushes slide in with hand pressure only - slick. Option 2 - dry ice

  5. #5willie592020-04-23 23:03

    Umm, that would be "hand pressure" wearing gloves, right?

  6. #6Nige2020-04-23 23:22

    I would assume that anyone working with LN2 would be smart enough to familiarze themselves beforehand of the protective equipment necessary when using a liquid that has a temperature of about minus 200C............. One of my party tricks was to bash a 6" nail through a 2x4 using a banana - after immersing said banana in LN2 for a couple of minutes that is. Then letting it warm up and eating the banana.........

  7. #7willie592020-04-23 23:28

    That is freaking awesome!

  8. #8Nige2020-04-23 23:37

    It was a trick I learned from my high school chemistry teacher over 50 years ago. Still has people gawping.....

  9. #992U 34062020-04-24 00:05

    I've found that gentle is the key to putting in bushings frozen in LN2. Couple small hammers and gently tap it 180 degrees apart. Sometimes they cock in the first bit of the bore. Couple light hammer taps and they usually drop right in place.

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-04-24 01:56

    A welding supply may have dry ice pellets. You can handle it with welding gloves. If there's a place that does dry ice blasting may have pellets too or know where to get them. There is also the freezing spray you can buy that's used like penetrating oil for stuck bolts.

  11. #11Theweldor2020-04-24 05:59

    A couple of times I could not find dry ice I used CO2 fire extinguishers. Didn't work to bad.

  12. #12Tinkerer2020-04-24 07:43

    I remember a discussion about using dry ice on bushings. A couple of members were making their own. I couldn't find the thread in a search. But, a quick Google search shows a lot of dry ice makers for sale from inexpensive to quite expensive. Here is link to one of the low budget ones. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penguin-dry-ice-Maker-U-S-A-Standard-thread-valve-CGA320/332455884753?_trkparms=aid=1110001&algo=SPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=225085&meid=3eac5440c9eb4ce3a831dbc4f304e1ec&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=332148093829&itm=332455884753&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

  13. #13Billrog2020-04-24 19:02

    I've done plenty of bushing and never froze any probably because I didn't have the means and this worked well for me. Weld the old bushing to the old pin stick the new bushing on the old pin and drive it in. Holds every thing square and no damage to new bushing.

  14. #14Willie B2020-04-24 20:28

    Based on past experience, I hate to try to drive them in. Nige planted a seed. We once had seventy dairy farmers within 6 miles of me. Now there are three. All have semen tanks. A three stage thermos bottle, I'd guess to be 10 gallons. Outer is vacuum bottle, next is liquid nitrogen, The center is semen. I don't know if I could get one. Not sure where the liquid nitrogen comes from. I'll ask.

  15. #15terex herder2020-04-24 20:34

    Dry ice in acetone works well if you don't have liquid nitrogen. Unlike liquid nitrogen, don't try to pick bushings out of the dry ice and acetone with a bare hand. You will get frostbite. If you are going to do a shrink fit, make certain you have everything ready to go. You do not want to get halfway in and have things lock up. This means clean, appropriate hammers and drivers right at hand. A dry run is in order for new projects as well. Dew will form on the cold part as soon as you get it in air. This eliminates the option of using loctite. You may be able to get one of the farmers to pour you some liquid nitrogen in a cooler. It will last for some time, probably over an hour.

  16. #16mitch5042020-04-24 21:13

    You pick bushings out of liquid nitrogen with your bare hand?!!!

  17. #17Welder Dave2020-04-24 21:48

    Dermatologist's use liquid nitrogen too. You'd want heavy welding gloves or better for handling parts cooled with liquid nitrogen.

  18. #18Nige2020-04-24 22:15

    Illustrating how it's done.........

  19. #19Willie B2020-04-25 08:19

    That is what I want!

  20. #20terex herder2020-04-25 11:15

    Yes. As long as they aren't big ones.

  21. #21Willie B2020-04-27 08:02

    First two I did in the end of the boom at the bucket links It went HARD. Next four were in the hydraulic press. They were much easier. I have to find a source for liquid nitrogen. My farmer friend offered me a bit from his semen tank, but I don't want to use up his needed product. He says the semen dealer refills it on a 3 to four month rotation.

  22. #22treemuncher2020-04-27 09:32

    While this is frowned upon by the safety conscious, I use liquid propane to chill my bushings prior to install. I am sure to do it outside in an open area without any combustion close by. I use one of the small propane bottle refill fittings that hook up to a portable tank, flip the tank upside down for liquid delivery and attach a hard plastic air line to the fitting outlet. I can then direct the liquid propane onto the bushing where I want it to chill and contract the bushing. I always have propane around the shop so it's easier than using liquid nitrogen, for me. You just need to be more careful and cognizant of the dangers using a flammable gas/liquid.

  23. #23Willie B2020-04-27 09:40

    I just watched a video by AvE. He's a total putz, but he's pretty sharp. He was just now chilling a bushing with canned air. He lowered temp to -45 F. with it, shrunk a maybe 3" bushing .002". That isn't a lot.

  24. #24treemuncher2020-04-27 10:23

    0.002 can be the difference between fit and interference. Any shrinkage, in inner bushings, is a good thing during install. I normally use some 5/8" or 3/4" hardened all-thread for my bushing pullers. Nut welded on one end and an old throw-out bearing at that end for a thrust bearing. I have a selection of large, thick washers and tooling made up. I either use old bushings cut down a few thousandths on the lathe for pusher/pullers or else, better yet, custom cut them out of new solid round stock. I cut out new pushers with an inner dimension to keep the bushing aligned, a close tolerance hole to slide down the all-thread and a square shoulder to push the bushing into place. This method is simple and works well to keep parts aligned within the bore. I've been working on my "Bushing Monster", the Menzi Muck, as time allows. I've never seen so many bushings on any machine. Rather than purchasing OEM parts that are extremely overpriced, I have found ASBbearings.com . Some of the $150 factory bushings can be purchased for well under $10.00 each and these are the exact same sizing. Two $450 bushings can be made out of one $65 ASB unit if I cut it in half, remove 0.005 from the bore and install grease holes & grooves. My lathe is a worthy investment for any bushing work whether for custom cutting the tooling or building the bushings.