Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Installing Smaller Hydraulic Cylinder Gland Seals

rustyjames · 2020-10-06 15:12

Have a cylinder with a 5/8" rod so the u cup seals are quite small and seem impossible to get into the gland. I can't find an installation tool anywhere online and was wondering what's the typical procedure to install these? I tried heating the seal in boiling water but that didn't help.

Replies13
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2020-10-06 15:49

    Patience , blunt screwdriver , blunt probe , more patience , and talking to it and yourself is allowed . 5/8 isnt so bad try pilot valve stem seals that have a back up ring then you might even cuss once or twice

  2. #2rustyjames2020-10-06 16:39

    Hatch, Thank you for the response. I'll probably have to ship it out because I already ruined one trying. The seal is super tough to work with.

  3. #3Mike L2020-10-06 17:55

    Clamp the gland to the work bench so it can’t run away. Boil some water in your wife’s favorite pot. When the water boils take it off the heat and throw the seal in for a few minutes. It should make it more pliable and easier to work with.

  4. #4rustyjames2020-10-06 18:38

    Mike, Thanks. I don't have a wife so I used one of my Mother's and tried that but it really didn't make the seal anymore workable.

  5. #5mitch5042020-10-06 21:41

    The set I have says it goes down to .7 inches, which is close to 5/8. I don't know what I've used it on, but it makes little ones easy. https://www.amazon.com/Kit-King-Ins...+seal+installation+tool&qid=1602034745&sr=8-1

  6. #6rustyjames2020-10-06 22:41

    Mitch, Thanks, I saw that set but read one review where the user couldn't make it work for a 1" bore (OD of the seal) and I'm working with a 7/8" bore. Also, I'd prefer to buy one tool because I seldom do this type of repair.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2020-10-06 22:47

    Are you certain the gland is not of 2 part design ive seen a few little ones that where like cat skid loader bucket lock cylinders

  8. #8rustyjames2020-10-07 10:14

    Tyler, Thanks, no it's all one chunk of steel. I'll try to post a picture later.

  9. #9rustyjames2020-10-07 15:52

    Here's a couple shots. I had it started but ruined it trying to get it tucked into the groove. If I could find the tool I buy one, but haven't been able to find anything. A few things I should mention: the seal that came out of it measured .188 thick but the groove is a touch more than .25. I figured that the wrong size seal was installed so I tried a .25 seal. Now I'm wondering if it in fact should be the thinner one?

  10. #10daveyclimber2020-10-07 16:06

    I just finished rebuilding my joystick, believe I responded to your post on another site. I had to fit 16mm u cup seals into a 10mm bore. I used my Mayhew o ring spoons and alot of oil and got them in way easier than I thought. The last little bit of each cup is a bit of a pain because they want to curl. The widest seal to fit the groove is best so you dont run into extrusion issues. Maybe you need the narrow seal and could install a backup ring to fill the gap on the back side. For what it's worth, always buy more seals than you need, just in case. Check out the o ring spoons. They work great.

  11. #11rustyjames2020-10-07 16:54

    Davey, Thanks. I did see your post over at GJ. I'll guess I'll have to give it another shot. This time I'll buy an extra. Fortunately, McMaster-Carr has them, and not that expensive.

  12. #12mitch5042020-10-07 20:52

    U-cup seals always have a little space around them. I doubt you will get a .25 seal in a .25 groove. Where they use backup rings to prevent extrusion is on o-ring type seals.

  13. #13rustyjames2020-10-07 21:07

    Mitch, the groove is wider than .25, not a whole lot but definitely wider. I was thinking that a seal that's .188 installed in a groove that's over .25 wouldn't be proper. It would be a lot easier to install, that's for sure.